Too much orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed an extract holiday spice recipe out of The Brewmaster's Bible yesterday. All went well, but the recipe called for 1/2 ounce of dried orange peel. I had purchased a 1 oz. bag and meant to only use half, but I forgot and threw it all in. After the boil and checking my OG I tasted the wort, which tasted good, but the orange flavor really stood out. Will this mellow with fermentation? Am I going to have an orange beer on my hands?

Thanks

Something to consider for next time. IMHO If you can peg the spice, herb, etc...you have used to much.
I realize we are talking about two different beers and likely two different volumes here, but FWIF I use a total of 2oz in my Belgian Golden Ale (10 gallons).
1oz in the kettle with 55 minutes left inthe boil &
1oz in the kettle with 10 minutes left inthe boil.
You'll likely be fine.

The recipe, like I said, was from Brewmaster's Bible, in the Christmas & Holiday Beers section (page 335 for those playing along at home). Here it is:

Spiced Winter Ale
8 oz. English Crystal Malt
2 oz. black patent malt
6 lb. Light extract syrup
1 lb. light DME
1 lb. clover honey
2 oz. Cascade hop pellets (45 min)
1/2 oz. Cascade hop pellets (15 min)
2 whole cinnamon sticks (all spices & Irish moss 15 min)
2 whole nutmeg
1 oz. dried ginger root
1/2 oz. dried orange peel
Irish moss
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
priming sugar

Boil time: 45 min.
OG: 1.058-1.060
FG: 1.014-1.016
ABV: 6%

In actuality I had 6.6 lb extract syrup and probably 1 1/4 lb DME, so my OG was a little higher (1.066).

Nice recipe, looks like a tasty beer. Again, don't worry about the orange peel.

180px-Cowbell2.jpg

... couldn't resist, was hard enough to give a serious answer first time this thread was at the top.

I agree with a previous poster that if you give it enough time in bottles it will mellow out and me just fine.

Back