Whirlfloc Tablets vs Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_p

Reaction score
I am still new to brewing thing or I guess I would not be asking this question. In all my brews so far ( will be 5 after today ) the kits that I have ordered to start with have all come with a Whirlfloc tablet to use as a clarifier which has worked just fine. I know that Irish moss is can also be used and I am thinking that it may be better than the tablets. Please help a newbie out give your input on which is better Whirlfloc Tablets or Irish Moss?

They are actually the same thing! Whirlfloc is just Irish moss in a convenient tablet form. I use Irish moss, just because that's what I have. I use a tsp. and rehydrate it at the beginning of my boil and then dump it it with 15 minutes left in the boil. It seems to work ok, but to be honest, I forget it about half of the time!

It's made from seaweed, I believe.

Thanks Yooper Chick. I knew that Irish moss is made from seaweed but I did not know if the Whirlfloc Tablets were made from the same stuff or not.

I have heard one Whirlfloc tablet is enough for 15 gallons, so I use Whirlfloc to help in really clear beers. Irish moss for wheat or darker beers. Stouts I don't use any finings for. Most of the time they need about a month of aging in which they clarify quite nicely w/o finings.

I use whirfloc in everything but hefes. My bitter that I just put into a keg yesterday (first AG batch) is the clearest beer I have made yet.

Chimone, what do you mean by "better results"? Better clarification, or less off flavor, or what? I was thinking of trying that because the tablet dissolves in about 40 seconds anyway.

chillHayze said:
Chimone, what do you mean by "better results"? Better clarification, or less off flavor, or what? I was thinking of trying that because the tablet dissolves in about 40 seconds anyway.

better clarification for sure. The brilliance of the finished beer IMO is much better than it was when I was adding it at 15

when using this is it recommended to rack once it settles? I might try it and see what comes out better, racking right away or pitching yeast like normal and rack in a few weeks.

Used whirlfloc for the first time today instead of Irish Moss. Produced the most beautiful cold break I've seen. After 15 minutes the wort in a flower vase I use for measuring SG had completely separated into crystal clear wort one could read a book through vs. cold break on the bottom.

Have to admit, I also mashed out to 167-170 for the first time in a few batches, so using whirlfloc wasn't the only variable.

Here is some info about Whirlfloc: They state it is better to use it in the last 5min beside the last 15min of the boil. Funny, Midwest states to use 1/2 tablet for 5 gallon batches and 1 tablet for 10 gallon bactches. On the label (pic in link) it say to use 1 tablet for 5 gallons...lol...never a true answer to anything.

Would it be good to use 1 tablet when doing a 7 gallon boil for a 5.5 gallon batch.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/whirlfloc-tablets-10-tablets.html

Latest posts

Back