Switch that resets on power loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to wire up my RIMS system, and my current plan is to have two switches.

Switch one provides power to the pump, and power to switch 2. Switch 2 turns on the heater element circuit.

Both are just "On-Off" Toggle switches.

I'd love to have it so when I power cycled the pump, there would be a component (relay?) that would kill power to Switch 2 (which runs the heater) until I pressed a "reset" button or something.

So, process would be:
1) Turn on Switch 1, pump starts.
2) Depress "Reset" button, energizing Switch 2
3) Turn on Switch 2, heater starts.

This way, even if I accidentally leave switch 2 "On", and next time I brew I turn on Switch 1 and work on ensuring I have flow through the RIMS, the heater can't switch on, since the heater circuit would have reset to Normally Open upon power cycling the pump.

Make sense? So I need something that is NO until you give it a momentary jolt from a reset switch, and then it says Closed until it loses power, at which point it opens again. What would that component be called?

(Only way I can figure on it is to have some kind of fancy capacitor/timer/latching relay setup to do this, but that seems excessive).

Thanks all you EEs out there!

Use a relay and wire it so that it is picked through a momentary contact (push button) and then remains energized through its own normally open contact. If power drops, it has to be reset again.

Oh brilliant, never thought of having the relay feed off itself.

So, with a 120V relay, (120V input and output), would this work?

QoC6j.png

Back