Bar ice chest and cold plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
Picked up an ice chest/tub from a closed down bar off of clraigslist for $75. Has an 8 pass cold plate in it. Looke similar to this:

icebin.jpg

I plan on taking out the cold plate and putting it in a cooler and doing that setup.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

From what I can tell the cold plate should be similar to standard plates, just that the circuit connections are on the long side. The tub is about 1ft x 2ft and the plate is approximately 18x20 inches.

The worse case is I build a jockey box to go around it if I can't find a cooler big enough heh. I had thought about using it as is, but it's not so portable.

I'll try to post pics as I go.

Picked up an ice chest/tub from a closed down bar off of clraigslist for $75. Has an 8 pass cold plate in it. Looke similar to this:

icebin.jpg

I plan on taking out the cold plate and putting it in a cooler and doing that setup.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

From what I can tell the cold plate should be similar to standard plates, just that the circuit connections are on the long side. The tub is about 1ft x 2ft and the plate is approximately 18x20 inches.

The worse case is I build a jockey box to go around it if I can't find a cooler big enough heh. I had thought about using it as is, but it's not so portable.

I'll try to post pics as I go.

You can do anything you want with that...
Daisy chain the inputs and outputs and use it for a chiller,
Drop it in a cooler for a jockey box,
To answer your question, it'll make beer colder than it was when it went into the cold plate :) What you use that chilling action for is up to you ;)

Looks cool though!

Yep, kinda already knew all that. Was just wondering if anyone has torn one of those apart before. I suspect I'll be drilling rivets to get that cold plate out.

I'll also probably hold onto the "sinks" for well... sinks. We hope to move into a bigger place in a year or two and those would go great in a garage or converted brewing room for sinks :)

Back