A fermentation question for the pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weslhoff2000

Reaction score
I just started a batch of Irish red ale, I'm keeping it at 69 degrees, and the day after I cooked it up my airlock was bubbling every 2 seconds, 1 day later it stopped. What does this mean?

Well, NOTHING!

Airlocks are in no way a gauge for fermentation. Gas could be escaping from a loose seal, bung, whatever. It is possible to ferment out in a day or two, and that temp is pretty high for most yeasts, so it could be pretty active. Just give it another two weeks (or three, if you can wait) and then take a gravity reading. Let the beer do it's thing

It means that CO2 is no longer going through your airlock.

It's very possible for the bulk of the primary sugar fermentation is done in only 48 hours, and if you're fermenting in a bucket, the small amount of CO2 that's still being off gassed can leak around the seal.

Don't worry about what the airlock is doing, give it a few weeks and then start checking your gravity to see if it's done.

+1
Airlock is a gas valve, nothing more.
My FIRST beer -back in 2001 - I fermented at about 76, (tasted like crap!) - so good for you, holding at 69F - however fermentation raises the internal temperature of the wort a good 4-10 degrees, so if you can start and hold at 62F or so, (next batch) that might be optimal, depending on your yeast strain.

Now, it's all about patience. Just wait. And wait some more. If you can stand it, 3-4 weeks in the fermenter before you think about bottling will reward you with a decent first batch, and with the knowledge you gain around here, a better second batch!

Back