Pliney vs. The Maharaja vs. Blue Dot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
I had all three last night, on tap, in snifters.

The Avery Maharaja had a beautiful head and so did the Pliney, the Blue Dot not so much.

They were all good, all very strong and hoppy.

The Maharaja was the most strikingly bitter, the Blue Dot was the most alcohol forward with a slight apricot aftertaste and the Pliney was most floral and citrus like (hello simcoe and amarillo).

Loved them all, drank them all down to the last drop and ultimately still liked Pliney the best. :mug:

I've never had the Pliney, but Maharaja is one of my favorite IPA's. It's up there with Green Flash's West Coast and Bear Republic's Racer 5.

If I could ever get Green Flash and Bear Republic I'm sure I would like them as well, but as for now Pliny is my favorite... followed shortly by Ruination...

The other one they had on last night was Ninkasi Tricerehops, which I love too, but I had to go home after those other three :drunk:

It's funny how such a good beer like Blind Pig IPA get overshadowed by such a great beer like Pliny. I don't think there is a beer that Russian River puts out that is sub-fantastic.

It's funny how such a good beer like Blind Pig IPA get overshadowed by such a great beer like Pliny. I don't think there is a beer that Russian River puts out that is sub-fantastic.

I often see you with a Pliney clone in your sig. Which clone recipe do you use and have you had it side by side with the real deal?

I often see you with a Pliney clone in your sig. Which clone recipe do you use and have you had it side by side with the real deal?

It is the Austin HB Shop clone which is spot on with the recipes I have seen floating around. With improved efficiency based on the original efficiency they base it on I was able to get .8 more gallons of this sweet stuff.

Anyways, this is the first time, I ordered the kit when Forest ran a special on it a while back but now that hops are cheap, I may have to do this often.

I have a real pliny waiting for a side by side comparison in a few weeks.

PM me if you want the AHS AG recipe, I have it in BeerSmith.

The AHS kit is spot on in color, body, and flavor to the original but the hop aroma isn't quite the same.

El Dictador in my dropdown IS the Maharaja if you replace Columbus/Zeus at 30 and 15 with Magnum. The recipe came from Avery.

If I could ever get Green Flash and Bear Republic I'm sure I would like them as well, but as for now Pliny is my favorite... followed shortly by Ruination...
I have had both bear republic racer 5 and green flash's west coast and neither can touch Pliny or Majarah at all. good beers in their right, but not comparable. Green Flash's hop head red is amazing though.

Pliny the younger however is my vote for over the top hop explosion. I had it i think two months ago on tap for its limited release.

Latest posts

Back