Into the abyss... I mean the 2ndary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I just racked my first batch into the secondary. On my last FG test, I just couldn't resist a taste. Man, that brought me back to my previous life in the UK. It tasted just like some of the bitters I drank at some of the small country pubs. Can't wait to get it into bottles and ready to drink.

Now I'm planning my 2nd batch and I have a question on straining from the boil pot to the carboy. I've made quite a mess with the first transfer and then again with the transfer to the secondary, but at least I now have some ideas on how to make things better. When I moved from the boil pot to the carboy (I did a full boil), I used a double mesh SS strainer suspended over a funnel with one of those cheap plastic strainers. Of course the plastic strainer did more warping and moving around than I had hoped and I was wondering if I could use a nylon bag (aka my wife's stocking) to strain the wort into the primary. I have the parts for a CFC and plan to build it before the next attempt. What I was thinking was to go through the CFC then into a nylon bag attached to the end which is suspended over the funnel in the carboy.

Quite a lengthy explanation for what I hope wiill be a simple setup. Any thoughts on this. Am I completely off my bird?

You can get by with a nylon stocking but it will clog up pretty fast and you will spend a lot of time trying to get it to flow. Why don't you try siphoning most of the wort after whirpooling in the kettle. I just pump some of the trub right into the carboy to get 5.5 gallons and it falls out during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back