Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm giong to do a saisson. OG - 1.064. I'm thinking a 1L starter with wyeast 3711, would this be about right?

That's right about what mine was at and I used the same yeast. I didn't even use a starter. Smacked the pack, it puffed right up like a balloon and I pitched it. Had krausen 24 hours later and it was done 48 hours after that. Amazing stuff.

That's right about what mine was at and I used the same yeast. I didn't even use a starter. Smacked the pack, it puffed right up like a balloon and I pitched it. Had krausen 24 hours later and it was done 48 hours after that. Amazing stuff.

What was your FG?

1.064 if I remember right. Then I did a sugar addition after the krausen fell.

I'm sorry, I was talking about your final gravity, once the brew was ready to drink? My calculations say mine should fall to about 1.015, but I was hoping to get it a little lower.

If you post your recipe, maybe folks could suggest some adjustments to get it down.

Mine was at 1.009 when I added the sugar (four days after brewing. That 3711 is a hard workin' boy) but I haven't been able to check it since then. We have a bumper crop of fruit flies around here right now and I'm not going to chance even taking off the airlock until those little beer ruining buggers are gone!

Here is the recipe, I am wanting to brew this week.

3# LDME
3# Wheat DME
1# Cane Sugar
.25 oz Bitter orange peel
.25 oz Coriander
1/2 tsp ginger root
1/2 tsp black pepper

Styrian Goldings .50 (90 min)
Sazz .50 (90 min)
Styrian Goldings .50 (25 min)
Saaz .50 (5 min)

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.015
IBU: 29
ABV: 6.3

Ahhh, not sure if I'd have any suggestions on that since it's an all-extract recipe you're kind of at the mercy of your extract. But I think that it might go a little lower than 1.015, depending on the brand of extract. Some ferment out more than others.

Personally, I'd leave out the spices, but that's just personal taste. Historically, saison's got their spice from the yeast and not from spice additions. Lots of modern examples use them though.

The safe bet is to make the starter. I've been comfortable just pitching the yeast, so far. I think you can get by without one, but making a starter is a good practice. Translate that to "sup to you, man" :D

Cool thanks for all your help man. One last question if I go for the starter would 1L be too large, could I over pitch that way?

Nah. I think a liter would be just fine. According to Mr Malty, you could even go up a little bigger. But, since it worked fine for me with a 0L starter, 1L should be enough. :D

I have a question about a saison I made. Mine came out a bit too spicy. It's about 2 months old in the bottle. Will aging fade the spiciness away?

Back