what to do about PAPAYAS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
So I was picking up canned blueberries for a brew and came across a bunch of canned papayas on clearance. I figured it could make for an interesting beer or mead, so I thought I'd pick them up. And now that I've got them, I'm curious- anybody got any recommendations?

They are papayas, canned, soaked in pineapple juice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.:mug:

Hmm... papaya can really be hit or miss. They either taste like heaven or stomach acid. Maybe do a lambic with it? Although the papaya might have that same sour taste as a normal lambic, making it too overbearing. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

I really would recommend tasting the papaya before brewing with it. A lot of canned papayas are ugh... I personally would try it on an IPA, but I am weird like that.

Speaking of papayas, I was thinking the other day, what about using papaya seeds in a brew? I bet they would be awesome. Sharp, spicy, peppery flavor. Could be a great replacement for pepper and quite yummy.

All of that noted, IF you do use Papaya's in a beer, er.... definitely don't let a pregnant woman drink that peer [yes, on writing this, I realize that sounds stupid] - papaya's are known for causing abortions and issues with conceiving. Albeit, in a small number of people, but well... enough of that.

Cool, I appreciate the ideas. Either way, typically when I venture off and try something different, I split a 5 gal batch and in 1/2- rack 1/2 on top of the papayas and keep the other 1/2 as is in a 2nd vessel just in case things go soul (figuratively or literally), so the batch ain't a complete wash. Plus, I've noticed some of my experimental and initially not-so-good beers come around with time.

I've never thrown fruit/veggies (other than pumpkin) in a mash, but I could just brew a small batch and do that- not sure how this would effect it- would it ferment out the sweet fruit flavor? I'm not a much of a fan of fruit beers and therefore haven't brewed many, but figured this could be a fun summer treat.

I'm also worried- being that they are soaked in pineapple juice- thoughts on that being too acidic?

Thanks for the ideas and keep em coming. Cheers!

I was looking at Papayas the other day as well but they were fresh. Made a Mango IPA a that I am drinking on now and it is great. Ended up adding 12 Mangos to this batch 6 to the first (not enough). Not to much fruit but a nice hint of Mango.

Different types of mango give different results.

A green mango (unripe) will take the bitterness out of a beer and leave it slightly tart with a touch of mango flavor that most people will not directly notice.

On the other hand, super ripe mango (squishy!) will make it taste like mango if used in the secondary. For 5 gallons you shouldn't need more than 3 to 4 pounds of really ripe mangos to get a good amount of flavor.

I would imagine using 12 mangos probably worked, but they were probably typical store mangos - mid-ripe but not really ripe ripe yet.

Now, I wonder if anyone has done a mangostein beer :)

12 full mangos?!? Did you just cut them up and throw em in the secondary? How did you cut them up - leave the center or cut around it? leave the skin or peel it off? I was just thinking about a mango beer for the girls (although I do love mangos, and can get some awesome ones).

If I ever use any fruit for a beer, I'm getting good fresh fruit from a fruit/produce market, not a grocery. I used to work at one and the produce there was sooo much better than anywhere else.

I would be a bit concerned/interested about the papain content. Papayas and a few other fruits have a strange enzyme in them that does some interesting things. It breaks down protein fibers in meat, prevents gelatin from becoming firm (by digesting it, if I remember correctly)

They were mangos from the local chain super market they were having a sale. .50 cents each. Some were super ripe and others not so much. I cut them off of the pit/seed and took the skin off too. 6 of them I cut into 1 or so inch peices and then just cut 1 or so inch strips in the other 6 and left them in secondary for what I thought was a long time 3 weeks. After that I racked from under the fruit to third and dry hopped with Amarillo for a week. It is in my keezer now and isn't going to last long.

I do think you wouldn't need as many if you had access to some high quality fruit.

I'm thinking about a mango-apfelwein clone as well as a mead. But a mango IPA sounds ok (not a fruty beer guy)
Now the paps can be hit or miss. I would def taste before using

Back