Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Reaction score
I'm looking to experiment with making a little mead. I've done a couple beers, and I've got a cider working right now, so with that experience and all the info I've seen here I'm pretty confident on getting a mead working. I can get several different varieties of honey locally, so I'd like to experiment. I've got two different 1/2 gallon glass "growlers" I could use. I've also got a 3 gallon carboy, but it's full of cider, and I've got plans for my 6 gallon brew buckets over the next couple months. So I'm stuck using the 1/2 gallons or ponying up for either a new 1 gallon or 3 gallon carboy. While the more carboy's the merrier, they can get a little pricey when buying new, and I can't seem to find any used ones recently.

My question is would a half gallon experiment be worth the time? Also, since most yeast packets are built for 3-6 gallon batches what's the best way to break it down for a 1/2 gallon batch? (or pitch it all and watch it take off)

Most of the time I make meads in one gallon cider bottles. I just pitch an entire packet of yeast. With original gravities of 1.100-1.150, I figure more is better.

Why not make two 1/2 gallon batches, using two honeys?

I'm looking to experiment with making a little mead. I've done a couple beers, and I've got a cider working right now, so with that experience and all the info I've seen here I'm pretty confident on getting a mead working. I can get several different varieties of honey locally, so I'd like to experiment. I've got two different 1/2 gallon glass "growlers" I could use. I've also got a 3 gallon carboy, but it's full of cider, and I've got plans for my 6 gallon brew buckets over the next couple months. So I'm stuck using the 1/2 gallons or ponying up for either a new 1 gallon or 3 gallon carboy. While the more carboy's the merrier, they can get a little pricey when buying new, and I can't seem to find any used ones recently.

My question is would a half gallon experiment be worth the time? Also, since most yeast packets are built for 3-6 gallon batches what's the best way to break it down for a 1/2 gallon batch? (or pitch it all and watch it take off)

Someone mentioned something good to me - look around at italian joints to see if they serve the "house wine" from the 1 gallon jugs, and ask them to save up a few for you. :)

1/2 will be pretty useless in my opinion. I admit I use several 1 gals and I love em. I can do lots of experimenting with a lot less initial cost for ingredients on recipes I'm unsure of. But in the end, a 1 gal batch leaves you with too little already, after racking losses and testing, you only get 4 or so 750's out of it. I would hate to work on something and wait months and months for only 2 bottles.

All the talk of running experimental batches reminded me of this picture:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Wow that thread has a ton of information.

Most of the time I make meads in one gallon cider bottles. I just pitch an entire packet of yeast. With original gravities of 1.100-1.150, I figure more is better.

Why not make two 1/2 gallon batches, using two honeys?

That was my exact intention, but I'm just wondering if I should dig up some 1 gal jugs. Once the 1/2 gallons are done I won't be pouring it back too heavily, but if I only end up with 2 finished bottles that doesn't seem like a worth while amount of product. If I can plan on 4 bottles from the 1 gal batch that seems like a better alternative.

I have 5 E&J gallo gallon bottles good for trying out the nutty stuff!

I would recommend against it for a normal meade, because you will like it too much, and be mad you only have a gallon!

be sure to buy a mini auto-siphon for those 1 gallon jugs. with only 1 gallon of godly nectar, you'll wanna avoid as much loss to racking as possible.

Latest posts

Back