Broken hydrometer, read samples in a couple days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
So I remembered last night that I broke my hydrometer the last time I used it... And of course I had a big brew planned for today (which I'm currently in the middle of). I'm brewing a big AG IPA and I'd really like to be able to calculate my efficiency (this is only my 3rd brew, 2nd AG). I put a sample of my pre-boil wort into the fridge and I plan to save another sample for the OG measurement. Only problem is my LHBS is closed today and tomorrow, so Tuesday evening is the earliest I'll be able to get a new hydrometer and take a reading... Will the samples still give me an accurate reading after ~60 hours in the fridge? I'll definitely let them warm to ~60* before I take the measurement.

Well, there won't be any fermentation taking place in your sample, so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be accurate. The only problem I could see is if when you do take your sample, it comes out to >1.060 and you only pitched one packet/vial of yeast.

Thanks for the quick response, I'm already planning on pitching two vials of yeast, actually I started them a couple days ago so I should have a plenty of yeasties to get the party started....

Back