First Epic Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loxnar

Reaction score
Soooo I have been calculating calibrating and crunching numbers for over a week getting ready to do my first fly sparge and really get the math behind writing grain bills, determining boil gravity...hitting the OG you want etc etc.....

yea well 70 minutes into my sparge with about 30% more to go and a nice healthy amount of wort to still drain from the mash tun my nice new HLT i made last week was too light to stay on its trusty saw horse, and the wind blew it right over into the mash tun knocking it over and sending the wort and grain flying everywhere....YAY!!!! god knows what kind of gravity i got out of it and my kettle is only about 2/3 of the way to being where it needs to be.

this was a weizenbock so im thinking its gonna be a super bock.....i shall dub thee Hefinator. god knows what this is gonna turn out like....starting the boil as we speak lol

note to self: ensure stable ground of all three tiers of your brewing system, especially if its ghetto

Bummer ... that must have been one heck of a gust of wind. :(

its been windy all day and its actually died down late here in the afternoon i was sitting 5 feet from the thing but i was inside and it was out...damn stanley cup finals. honestly im just glad nothing broke! oh well its my first mishap with brewing as far as a major problem or (knocks on wood) infection is concerned.
It was already a bock god knows whats gonna happen with this yeast starter and how high of an OG im gonna get....im gonna RDWHAHB cuz i know no matter what ive at least made beer =)

Yeah, that definitely sucks! I bet it will turn out ok, though.

have no doubt it will be drinkable beer just gonna be super strong....was already gonna have an OG of 75 so god only knows where im gonna land....i considered adding water to help dilute but i figured this batch has been screwed up so much already that i may as well just let it go and see what the hell happens lol

Now that is a serious fly sparge. wow. Please tell me this is for a 10+ gallon batch.

nope just 5....i was told to go slow so i did =).....plus stanley cup was on so i wasnt in any hurry....its learning i really wanted to go to slow as oppossed to too fast so next time i know i can open it up a little more

Back