All these Left Over Hops and Specialty Malts...What to Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I have...
Hops

.55 oz Fuggles .55 oz Williamete .55oz East Kent Goldings .90 oz Centennial 1.10 oz Chinook 2.35 oz Cascade .55 oz US Hallertau

Specialty Grains

4.65 oz Caramunich 5.35 oz Briess Special Roast 9.00 oz Simpsons Chocolate 2.55 oz Wyermann Dark Wheat 10.40 oz Simpsons Roasted Barley 3.60 oz Briess 120L 11.25 oz Briess 40L 4.55 oz Durst Munich

As far as Base Malts go, I have over 20 lbs of Marris Otter and Plenty of American 2 Row on Hand.

What I WAS going to do was throw it all into my Software, find out what to expect for numbers, run it all through the Grain Mill and get to Brewing with Everything. Just one big Witches' Brew. As far as Yeast, if I was to go with this Route, I'd want to use something different. Don't know yet, but I am not yet sold on the Witches' Brew.
Do you know of any good recipes with the above ingredients? If so, please share as I would rather go with something that is tried and true then to Brew something that taste like Cow's ass...:drunk:

Two 5-gallon batches:

Batch One: a nice malty Brown Ale!

Use the Munich, Special Roast, Chocolate, Dark Wheat and 120L Crystal. Make up Maris Otter to yield an OG of ~1.050.

Bitter with the Centennial, flavor with Fuggles & Willamette, finish (or dry hop) with EKG.

Batch Two: an APA with the 2-row, the 40L Crystal and the Caramunich. Bitter with the Chinook and finish with Cascades.

That leaves you with Hallertauer, but whaddayagonnado?

Or just mash it all together and ferment it with a nice Belgian yeast. I prefer Ardennes. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Two 5-gallon batches:

Batch One: a nice malty Brown Ale!

Use the Munich, Special Roast, Chocolate, Dark Wheat and 120L Crystal. Make up Maris Otter to yield an OG of ~1.050.

Bitter with the Centennial, flavor with Fuggles & Willamette, finish (or dry hop) with EKG.

Batch Two: an APA with the 2-row, the 40L Crystal and the Caramunich. Bitter with the Chinook and finish with Cascades.

That leaves you with Hallertauer, but whaddayagonnado?

Or just mash it all together and ferment it with a nice Belgian yeast. I prefer Ardennes. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

I'll take Option 1 for 1000 regis. :D I'm going with your idea. I'll be brewing both of them next weekend. I'm thinking a nice WLP001 oughta do the trick for both of those Brews. Thanks for the recipes!!!:mug:

De nada, amigo. Hope they turn out well for you; they're both sort of off-the-cuff, based on far too much time spent reading Designing Great Beers. :D

You had amounts in interesting proportions, so it was just a matter of thinking for a few minutes. Caveat: I didn't plug anything into ProMash, so YMMV!

Cheers,

Bob

De nada, amigo. Hope they turn out well for you; they're both sort of off-the-cuff, based on far too much time spent reading Designing Great Beers. :D

You had amounts in interesting proportions, so it was just a matter of thinking for a few minutes. Caveat: I didn't plug anything into ProMash, so YMMV!

Cheers,

Bob

Funny thing. I just ordered Designing Great Beers last night from Northern Brewer. :D I can not wait to dissect that puppito!!!

Back