Wine has been sitting on sediment for months...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HNM

Reaction score
Sorry if there is a general thread to post questions in, and I'm missing it. I've been a lurker for a while but this is my first post here.

I started a batch of apple wine back in February. Everything was going great. I racked it into the secondary and then.....due to a crazy set of life circumstances....left it sitting in the back of my closet for the months since. So it has been sitting on all the sediment for months. I am assuming it is ruined, since I've read that if you don't rack it in a timely manner, the starving yeast start letting off an enzyme that injects nasty flavors into the wine. But is there anything I can do to salvage this wine?

Thanks.

As you've already racked it onto secondary, then it should be okay - a lot of the dead yeast will have been left behind. There will be some sediment build up for sure, but it's unlikely to have contributed too negatively to the flavour in a noticeable way unless it has been a *really* long time.

Oh, I am definitely going to sample it before making any rash decisions. Are you kidding? Just trying to preemptively get a game plan ready for different things I could try to do to save it, if I find it has been affected :)

Thanks Kahless. How long is a "really" long time, though? It's been almost 5 months.

It is fine, no worries, it takes a lot longer than a couple months on the lees in secondary to ruin a wine, Hell I make a welches concord wine and do not even rack it off the primary lees, leave it for 5-6 months and it turns out good. Same thing with apfelwein

Back