Yankee Enginuity IV- Fall Foliage Session 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green with envy (smile)

I look forward to the next session, and great to connect with the group..did you ever make it over to Ray's ? Sorry I couldn't stay ..

Last night I brough a bottle of a brown ale (in the bottle abt 4 weeks) to a high school classmates place (he and his bro are up for weekend) .. While it was chilling, we enjoyed some #9 and Blue Moon, catching up on 30+ years...

Then, we cracked the bomber of brown ale, clinked our glasses, and I waited for the reaction --

absolute astonishment - Jaw dropping expressions ..

I thought it was pretty funny, but I know that's how I was the first time I tasted a profoundly good-tasting brew..

"WOW - Man, that's good" ... "what a flavor!" "How do you do this ??"

I promised much more for the next get together, probably around Thanksgiving.

I think that sharing this "wealth" is what makes this so much fun ! So, I thank all of you for the fun and sharing yesterday in Bratt.

Hippie said:
12:17pm 10/06/07

Hippie, Knights of Gambrinus and Glibbidy still drinking and BSing!

Hippie, wouldn't that technically be 10/07/07?

Wish I could have stayed, but family duties called. Helluva day, the bock (gravity readings indicate what I feared, that "dopple" was but a futile wish) is churning away nicely at ~55°. Pissah that I lost so much at the end, but that just means I'll have to brew it again sooner!

Thanks again, Glib! Your most excellent hosting was much appreciated.

Sorry I missed it. :mad:

But on the bright side, I brewed up a batch of an English Brown a la. Hobgoblin when I got home yesterday.:mug:

I also scored an industrial chiller unit that was being tossed at work!:rockin: :ban:

You are all welcome. It was my pleasure to host, and see your mugs, as well as meet tow new ones. We'll do it again sometime soon!
Bird what was your target gravity & actual gravity for that double decoction you did last Saturday at YI?

It was crap. Total crap. 1.064 (at 75°; what's that bump it up to, like 1.066?). It's a bock, no "dopple."

I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong... I forgot my PH buffer, but still - like 60% efficiency, STILL, with the grain crushed to the point of nearly getting stuck? WTF?

The bizarro thing is that I totally overshot my gravity by 10 miles with the same crush. Have you always been plagued with efficiency issues?
Could there possibly be a flaw in your design with the mash/sparge volumes?

I'm going to calculate my efficiency at some point soon. This may help provide some insight.

Couple things I'm thinking.

Didn't sparge enough. When I get my Barley Crusher and can grind that fine, I'll also make sure to include some rice hulls in the mash so I don't have the issue of a nearly-stuck sparge. I know I could have rinsed out some more sugars and done a longer boil.

I'm also wondering about the braid, whether I should try making a manifold (I have plenty of excess copper on hand) and see if that makes a difference.

I may also try doing a fly sparge again (I've done it one, didn't make that much of a difference, though).

Gotta make sure to remember the PH salts, or invest in a PH meter so I can at least keep an eye on that.

Otherwise... I don't know... :( :mad:

Speaking of braid. You left your hop/trub filter at my house. PM me your address, so I can mail it back to you.

And KOG (knights of Gambrinus) you left some sake at my house, which I have been enjoying. Do you want me to return the bottle after I fisnish it off?:drunk:

The filter's trash. I need to rethink the design. The mesh was too fine (bought the wrong material), and I need to figure out a way of being able to clean out the inside, so I'm not reboiling nasty old hop particular and break material. I've been using more and more whole hops and debating about just building a Bazooka T design.

I'd love to come to the next one of these you guys have, if these things aren't already getting too crowded! I think I'd just be a "watcher" - I brew on stovetop so don't really think I'd want to borrow a stove -- plus I'd like to see how much of a step it is to get into AG and be able to brew out on the deck...
Sounds like you had a great day, all, glad to see! (except the braided SS!)

Glibbidy said:
And KOG (knights of Gambrinus) you left some sake at my house, which I have been enjoying. Do you want me to return the bottle after I fisnish it off?:drunk:

Nah. Glad you are enjoying it. Thanks again it was a blast. I look forward to brewing with you folks again. :drunk:

Finally made it to Ryan and Casey's. WOW. mind boggling compared to the selection I am used to.

Hippie and KOG enjoy a little relaxtion after a big brew day.

hippy-KOG.JPG

Back