Woohoo I love Hops Direct!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I ordered 1lb each of Hersbrucker, Centennial and Cascade.

Here is what they sent me:

1lb 12oz Hersbrucker
2lbs 6oz Centennial
1lb 15oz Cascade

I love you Hops Direct!

Yeah they double everything...good in a way, but I don't brew enough to really use all of them. I end up giving away a lot.

Dan

Yeah, me too. I ordered one lb of cascade & one lb of fuggles, and both were about 2 oz shy of 2 lbs. Had to arrange a bit of extra room in the freezer to accommodate them.

I'm so glad they do biz like this. I'm hoping in these tight times, they're still as generous. I ordered a pound of Magnum yesterday :D

Soulive21 said:
I'm so glad they do biz like this. I'm hoping in these tight times, they're still as generous. I ordered a pound of Magnum yesterday :D

They are....

Was that whole or pellet Magnum? I didn't see Magnum available when I ordered, or I would have gotten some.

the_bird said:
They are....

Was that whole or pellet Magnum? I didn't see Magnum available when I ordered, or I would have gotten some.

Sweeet. Thanks Jay, I don't know how I missed your thread. I ordered the pellet Magnum. Maybe they're this year's harvest :rockin:

Soulive21 said:
Sweeet. Thanks Jay, I don't know how I missed your thread. I ordered the pellet Magnum. Maybe they're this year's harvest :rockin:

Be sure to post if they're generous with the pellets, as well. I'm not sure if their "stuff 'em full!" policy extends to pellets as well as leaf (I've just been buying leaf lately, and I think most people have tended to get leaf from HD).

the_bird said:
Be sure to post if they're generous with the pellets, as well. I'm not sure if their "stuff 'em full!" policy extends to pellets as well as leaf (I've just been buying leaf lately, and I think most people have tended to get leaf from HD).

Oh $hite, I didn't realize others ordered whole-leaf. I'll update when they arrive next week...

I have a question about hops direct. I have always been apprehensive about buying from them because they make you submit your order before supplying you with a shipping quote. How much do they usually charge for shipping?

The pellet packages from HD I ordered were also overpacked, but not nearly to the same degree. Maybe three ounces over, tops.

I bought 2# back in May and I think per lb it was about $7 or so. Total bill was $21.65 so shipping was about $7 as well.

cubbies said:
I have a question about hops direct. I have always been apprehensive about buying from them because they make you submit your order before supplying you with a shipping quote. How much do they usually charge for shipping?

I ordered 5 lbs. Shipping to Virginia was about $17 bucks (and ended up being 8lbs of hops). I would agree that shipping is probably actual cost.

-Jon

I just ordered 3 lbs last night totalling 69.00, I'm anticipating it'll be 6.00-10.00 to ship. I will post back as soon as I get the email from them with my actual shipping charge....

DING. Shipping was $8.39. Total of $76.62. Bought my "Food Saver" (Rival Seal-a-Meal, really decent quality, $35.00) and split 'em up today! Here's what HopsDirect shipped:

(All pellet)
US Golding 4.5% - 1 lb 6.5 oz
Hersbrucker 3.2% - 1 lb 5.25 oz
Amarillo 8.0% - 1 lb 10.25 oz

(Borat voice) Quite nice!

O.k. I thought I would just tack on here!! Ordered 1 lb cascade, 1 lb centennial, 1lb fuggles. I got 1lb 12.5 ounces of cascade, 1lb 12.25 ounces of centennial, and 1lb 5oz of Fuggle. Pretty nice!! Wouldn't it be awesome if everyplace gave you extras like this?

Dr Vorlauf said:
They are great. I picked up 1 lb of Mt Hood, Fuggels and Cascade.

Just to clarify the above I just vacuum packed my 1 lb of cascade and I am puzzeled, I never knew that 1 lb = 27 oz. I like the math on these hops.:rockin:

I recently bought 1lb of US Golding from them. I assume that these were from THIS year's crop, since they were added as "new" sometime a month or less ago. I got almost exactly 1 pound of hops.

Either I have bad luck, or they are no longer over-packing hops - in that case, I would assume that the reason people are still getting way over a pound is that perhaps most of the hops being sold now are still last year's crop, and were pre-packaged last year when they didn't care so much? Who knows. I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't the end of the way-overpacked hops from hopsdirect.

hop_shortage%20029a.jpg

ofthe 20 lbs i bought - i probably came away with 25 lbs of hops. hopsdirect has ALWAYS been good to me and from the reactions most people have they always overfill.

@Funkenjaeger: I bought a pound of the 2007 Golding you were talking about, and it was definitely less full than the others - I think I still got 5 or 6 extra oz, but the other two pounds (both 2006 still) were easily 10, 12, 13 extra ounces.

the_bird said:
I don't remember exactly, but it was fair. I'm almost positive it's actual cost.

I just got 6 pounds from them (actually almost 10 lbs)

Subject: Puterbaugh Farms Order # 5990000006 Trans: 4423

Submitted: 12/15/2007 09:59 AM
Order Number: 5990000006
Transaction: 4423

03 Item(s):

Item 01: 2 each HCASP1 Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 23.81

Item 02: 2 each HCEN1 Centennial Leaf Hops 1 lb. $ 23.28

Item 03: 2 each HWIL1 Willamette Leaf Hops 1 lb. $ 21.95

SubTotal: $ 138.08
Shipping $ 23.67
Total: $ 161.75

Is the leaf hop packaging that is done by Hops Direct good enough to leave in the freezer for a month or two? I purchased a couple pounds but have not gotten around to picking up a food saver. Since I don't plan to start using the hops for another month or so, should I be ok vacuum packing the hops then?

Thanks

All of your overfilled orders made me order 3 ounces. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the heavy handed order filler will be working when they process mine.......say a little prayer to the hop god.

buckeyebrewer said:
All of your overfilled orders made me order 3 ounces. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the heavy handed order filler will be working when they process mine.......say a little prayer to the hop god.

They do less than a pound orders? I only see 1lb options.

I got some Bravo hops for Christmas. I have about 25oz in the fridge, I made a hop tea with about 2oz. Not bad at all.

hops.JPG

After reading about their order filling procedures, I'll certainly be ordering from them the next time I need hops.

Maybe I missed it in this (and other) threads, but do they overload pellet orders as well?

@ctkevin, i've not ordered their leaf, but their pellets came in a very sturdy, dense vacuum-pack mylar bag.

@ohio, mine were pellet and I got:
2007 US Golding 4.5% - 1 lb 6.5 oz
2006 Hersbrucker 3.2% - 1 lb 5.25 oz
2006 Amarillo 8.0% - 1 lb 10.25 oz
So I'm not sure if their logic is based off what they have the most of on hand, or on what's newest... No clue. Not gonna complain though. Love them guys! Need to order 3 more lbs!

@ctkevin, i've not ordered their leaf, but their pellets came in a very sturdy, dense vacuum-pack mylar bag.

I ordered a pound of pellets and I'm not worried about them. The bag the whole hops came in are not vacuum sealed though. Does anyone know if its nitrogen packed or if I'm gonna be stuck buying a food saver this week?

ohiobrewtus said:
After reading about their order filling procedures, I'll certainly be ordering from them the next time I need hops.

Maybe I missed it in this (and other) threads, but do they overload pellet orders as well?

Yes they are generous with pellets also...

I ordered:

2 Lbs Cascade Pellet Hops
2 Lbs Centennial Leaf Hops
2 Lbs Willamette Leaf Hops

I recieved:

2 Lbs 15 oz Cascade Pellet Hops
3 Lbs 7 oz Centennial Leaf Hops
3 Lbs 6 oz Willamette Leaf Hops

That's $1.04 per oz with the shipping and paypal fees :ban:

Just curious, but are the packagers over at Freshops just as generous with their orders as Hops Direct?

Just got my hopsdirect order.

I ordered:
1 lb. Cascade pellets
1 lb. Centennial leaf

I received:
1 lb. 6.4 ounces Cascade pellets
1 lb. 11.5 ounces Centennial leaf

I previously ordered FreshHops and they were accurate...which is very very good. I just ordered the following from Hops Direct:

Fuggle Leaf Hops 1 lb.
Ahtanum Hop Leaf: 1 lb.
Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb.
Centennial Leaf Hops 1 lb.

I'll report back when they arrive whether it was a very very good order or a most excellent order.

Here's hoping all the reports of Hop Direct are accurate, that will be several extra batches of brew possible if true, not to mention a loyal customer from here on out!

I just ordered...

1lb Amarillo leaf
1lb Fuggles Leaf
1lb Vanguard Leaf

This is my first order, I'm excited. It's kinda like playing the lottey, am I going to be the winner of free hops?

Back