Common Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tohadlock

Reaction score
Hey,

I am just a begginer but was a chef for 15 years and am finding that brewing is coming easier to me than I had first thought. Not to say I am an expert by any means but that I know how to cook.

I am thinking about getting into all grain brewing and was thinking about getting my gear and ingredients together. I have read various things and pretty much know what equipment I would need but am not sure about the ingredients and their life.

I was thinking I might be able to acquire several large amounts of various grains to begin my inventory surplus.

What would be some grains that I could by in bulk that I would use quite often as an all grain brewer?

Thanks

tohadlock said:
Hey,

I am just a begginer but was a chef for 15 years and am finding that brewing is coming easier to me than I had first thought. Not to say I am an expert by any means but that I know how to cook.

I am thinking about getting into all grain brewing and was thinking about getting my gear and ingredients together. I have read various things and pretty much know what equipment I would need but am not sure about the ingredients and their life.

I was thinking I might be able to acquire several large amounts of various grains to begin my inventory surplus.

What would be some grains that I could by in bulk that I would use quite often as an all grain brewer?

Thanks

It really depends on what styles, but your base grains you could buy in bulk. Like some Maris Otter or basic two row malt. I don't have a mill so I don't keep grains on hand. I'm sure there are others that will give you some better idea.

Dan

You will need a grain mill to take advantage of it but buying base 2-row pale malt in 50 lb bags can save you alot of money. Unmilled malted barley should keep for up to a year if kept sealed and cool. Milled grain has a shorter life, hence the reason for the mill.
In most styles the specialty grains are used in amounts of 1 pound or less per 5gal batch so buying in bulk is less advantageous.
You can also buy hops by the pound and keep it in the freezer for a year or so.
I am trying different styles and grains with each of my batches so far so it makes no sense to even buy base malt in bulk yet.
Craig

You should start off with a base 2-row malt. (This is a lot like selecting your main flour for baking) Depending on the styles you like the most, that might be Pilsner/Lager Malt or a Pale/Ale malt. The pale is kilned at slightly higher temperatures and very slightly darker. You may want to use a specific brand or source be it Maris Otter, German, Briess, English.

I know people who only use one base grain, from one source, processed by one company. They make good beer. I buy whatever is in the bin at the LHBS and I make good beer as well.

If I was bulk buying a specialty grain, I'd probably go with Munich for its maltiness, then Victory for the biscuit/nutty flavor. On the other hand, I've been using Rye malt in many of my recent ales.

I buy Briess 2-row in 50lb bags and a 20-30lb variety of adjunct malts in one-pound sealed bags (unmilled of course). I like Crystal, varied between 10-120L, Vienna, Munich, Victory, and wheat. Of course, if you like stouts you'll need some roasted/black barley and flaked oats. If you really want to play, just get 2lbs of every malt they have.

I agree with Brewer's 2 Row for starts. That will give you a great variety of options as it is a very versatile base malt.

As you progress and get things like a Wheat (if you like them), Pils, etc under your belt, then consider getting Pils, Wheat and possibly Munich and Vienna in bulk. The reason I include the Munich and Vienna is because they are used quite frequently and can comprise a good portion of the grain bill in certain styles.

That is pretty much my current inventory of bulk malts. 2 Row, Pils, Wheat, Munich and Vienna. You will find that the specialty grains are used rather sparingly. If you do decide to get Crystal malt in bulk I would recommend only up to 10lb bags as they will last a long time (sometimes very long depending on what you like to brew).

Back