BIAB W/ 9gal kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bewbzout

Reaction score
Ok guys quick question. I want to know if i can BIAB with a 9 gal kettle? 9 gallons is at the very top with no extra room. Thanks

Use this calculator to find out based on your equipment and grain bill:

http://www.bonniebluebrew.com/brewc...=72&i_mt=154&i_ar=0.08&i_ppg=37&submit=Submit

Small disclaimer : I haven't used this calculator yet but I'm going to tomorrow. Also for BiAB I believe some guys and girls will mash with water they need, and if the kettle can't handle that amount, they then do a dunk sparge in a bucket, then pour that sparged water back into the boil kettle. I'm inclined tom say yes, a 9 gallon kettle should do fine. I'm using a 10 gallon pot tomorrow, my first AG brew will be the Common Room ESB found in the recipe section.

I just did a BIAB today in an 8-gallon kettle. Grain bill a bit over 12 pounds; 6 gallon batch, OG of 1.049.

I use a 7 gallon kettle for BIAB using Deathbrewer's method. As Duckmanco mentioned, I use this because I don't want to buy a larger pot. This works well. I put 5.25 gallons into fermenter.

Www.rackers.org has some great online calculators, including one called "Can I mash it?" That calculator can be very helpful in determining whether your pot will hold the grain and water.

Ok guys quick question. I want to know if i can BIAB with a 9 gal kettle? 9 gallons is at the very top with no extra room. Thanks

Yes for 12-15 lb grain bills. You would probably need another pot or vessel to wind up with a full 5 gallon batch.

I use 7.5 gallon pot and a 5 gallon bucket. Mash 6 gallons, pull bag and put it in 5 gallon bucket. Sparge with another 2 gallons in the bucket. Combine wort and I wind up with about 6.75 gallons preboil. 1 hr boil nets 5.5 gallons in fermentor

My problem is a bigger pot won't fit under the vent hood on my stove. Once I move I might shell out for a 10-gallon pot.

Back