Pitched Yeast 2 Hours Ago: Forgot 2 Take OG Reading! Should I take one asap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koopa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Batch came out to 7 gallons post chilling to pitch temperature.
Pitched 4.5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy. (CARBOY A)
Pitched 2.5 gallons into a 3 gallon carboy. (CARBOY B)

My 2L starter was all the way down to 1600ml by pitch time so:
I pitched 1070ml into Carboy A
I pitched 530ml into Carboy B

Just realized I forgot to take an Original Gravity Reading!

For what it is worth, my extraction efficiency has been btw 69-74% on every one of my first 9 batches. Should I make an assumption about this batch?

My immediate thought is to take one asap but since I split the starter by eye, I'm a bit afraid of "robbing" either carboy of any yeast in the process.

Any advice?

I'd take a hydrometer sample from the larger of the two batches. Without knowing the OG you won't know when/if it's done with primary fermentation.

Maybe shake the fermentor a bit before taking the sample so you'll mix the yeast in very well. To avoid contamination don't put the hydrometer sample back into the fermentor when you're done with it.

Thanks for the reply. Just took one from the larger carboy. It was a few extra points higher than the recipe called for but still within range for the style!

I haven't taken a hydrometer reading since I realized my method was so consistent that I hit my OG +- 1 point or so every time.

Just leave in the primary for two weeks and keg/bottle no need to take a FG either.

In truth no one really cares one way or the other.

Back