Just finished my sculpture!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipster27

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well this project took on a life of it's own! What started out as the desire to get back in to grain brewing evolved in to what you see here! :D First time I've ever welded and am very happy with the way it turned out :rockin:. My original intent was to make it from SS, but not being familiar with welding and the fear of ruining $300+ in SS lead me to use regular steel, but as a compromise I figured I'd put a cool paint job on it!

I'd like to thank the HBT community for all the ideas and inspiration and all the HBT vendors and supporters, almost everything was built with their products:
Tri-Clovers from Swagman - Beautiful fittings and his service was over the top!
Bargain Fittings for many of the compression fittings and weldless valves
Chugger Pumps for the pumps
More Beer for so many things - kettles, chillers, fittings, hoses, attire
and
Brewer's hardware for the burner shields and stir plate.

As for the build, it's kind of a Brutus 10 but modified to meet the requirements of a 5 gallon system.

Steel is 1.5" square tube 14GA and if very robust. I don't see anyway that this thing would fail under a full load.

Horizontal pieces are what the called "hammered" to give the project a little visual appeal and vertical pieces are standard square tube.

One of my goals was to keep everything contained within the frame. I didn't want gas lines, burners, or any misc hanging outside the frame. I couldn't accomplish that with everything (pumps) but other than that everything is contained within the frame.

On a test run I didn't have the risers on top of the frame, the kettle sat directly on the frame. This created a couple concerns. It seemed like they burners could not really breath (although there were openings in the corners), I also observed the flames wrapping around the frame and I thought there might be some thermal stratification preventing me from getting the full efficiency from the burners. To address that, I welded some angle iron on to the top of the frame. This gave the burners enough room to breath and helped heat the kettles.

Enjoy and please PM me if you have any questions!

The project stated as a taped template on my garage floor!

CIMG2773.jpg

Finished project with kettles, pumps and hoses. Still need to do the electrical, but that will be easy :mug:

CIMG2757.jpg

Pumps

CIMG2776.jpg

CIMG2776.jpg

That is a work of art!!! Amazing.
How does the beer taste? :D
LOL, it will probably taste the same as it did when I was brewing with a HDPE mashtun and a single turkey fryer burner :D but it will look cool :rockin:
It looks really tall, is there a reason for that?
Yea it might be a little tall, I'll brew for the first time tomorrow or Sat and will get a feel for the height. I liked the height as I was building it, then added the wheels and that brought it up a little higher than I think I would like. Worst case I can cut the legs down and re-weld the wheels on without taking away from the paint job or functionality of it :mug:

Very nice build! Are those yellow gas lines 3/8's and if so where did you get them? I can only find 1/2 inch.

Very nice build! Are those yellow gas lines 3/8's and if so where did you get them? I can only find 1/2 inch.
Yup 3/8. Got them at Home Depot in the section by the water heaters and other yellow flex lines. The were labeled "Fireplace" or "gas log" or something like that. Rated for something like 60,000 BTU. I test ran one before opening all of them and it worked perfect. Oh BTW, they were like $10 or $12 ea.

Very nice looking build! I can only hope mine looks half as good when I get around to it.

1/2 inch black pipe
Here's more detail on the gas rail. I struggled with how I was going to make it happen, but lots of coffee and several trips to Home Depot did the trick!

Gaspipe4.jpg

QUOTE]

SO, the 3/8 FIP connects directly to the flare fitting on the valve correct? No tape or dope needed? What fitting did you use to go from the flex hose to the burner?

Latest posts

Back