Bending an electric water heater heating element???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Can I bend an electric heating element? I would like to bend it for a better configuration and a little more convenience. I remember people talking about it, but could not find any info.

Is is bad to do this? What is the best technique?

Thanks!!!

as long as they are gentle bends, i can't think of why that would be an issue. might help to heat the element slightly, just not enough to burn it up. i have thought about this, but i'm not far enough into it to have tried. i just wonder if the element is just a metal, or something that will crack if you try to bend it. if small cracks develop, the circuit will be broken at the cracks, and i bet the added current where it didn't crack would burn it up pretty fast. lotta help i am huh?

Nope, They will break. I have tried. They have ceremic in the center of them. I got one for $2 at the habitat reuse store and tried. Makes a mess.

Can I bend an electric heating element? I would like to bend it for a better configuration and a little more convenience. I remember people talking about it, but could not find any info.

Is is bad to do this? What is the best technique?

Thanks!!!

Can you use an elbow fitting to mount it instead?

I am working on a second heatstick that uses that method, and will be using that to add two elements to the lid of my new HLT, when I get time.

I have to disagree. I have bent mine, just a little though;)
DSC00085.jpg

Some must be internally built different than others.
And it still works fine at 120v. I dont currently have it set up for 240.

Thanks 95747brewer,

That looks great. I replied to another thread you posted to. I know you bought yours at lowes. Do you have a manufacturer name. Mine was High density element with a blue and yellow label. I can't for the life of me remember the name. I would love to try this again if it will not snap on me.

I have also bent my heating element. It is a Ripple 5500w ULW. So I would have to agree with 95747brewer that some can be bent.

I do not remember the brand as it has been a year or so back. I bought it at my local hardware store. I think it was like $28.00. I will stop by and get the band name of them tomarrow. I did not make any major bends in mine, I just opend the current bends up some.

So, I just pulled a heating element out of my freezer and would like to bend it so I can fit it inside some sort of tube so I can safely use it to heat my fridge instead. Its only a 450 watt coil and its black, seems maybe ceramic, any ideas?

Back