DIY draft tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
I have been planning on making a draft tower for my collared freezer kegerator, Has anyone ever built their own pass-thru style tower, or are there any links that may help me get some ideas before I ruin my freezer lid? thanks!

My only suggestion would be to forego the tower all together. Consensus is that a tower on a flip top freezer isn't practical:

• Once you open the freezer lid, the taps are not accessible.
  • Simple maintenance like line flushing is impossible with a top-tower system.
  • You'd have to move the freezer away from the back wall to open the top to avoid hitting the wall.
  • Freezers can hold multiple cornies and a tower usually limits you to two (maybe three) taps.
  • You already have a collar, so intalling front mount taps would be easier.
  • Everytime you lift the lid (and you'll lift it often), you'd have to remove your drip tray to avoid spilling.

Trust me, towers are great for front-door chillers, but a chest freezer does much better with front mounted faucets:
Here's a Sanyo 2-kegger with a tower. Perfect set-up
Kegger5.JPG

Top lid freezers don't do so well with apparatus installed on the lid.

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_4.JPG

babalu87 said:
Ooops
Mine will be for something like this:
2035858681_be2d17f45b.jpg
Even with a portable concept like that...I'd recommend a canister like the one below, and install 2-3 front mounted taps. The rollerrs help it to be more mobile. And when you open the thing to check on regulators, connections, ice etc...there's no risk of damaging the tower/tap system.

All you need is one 265 pound drunk leaning on that tower rig a little too heavy and the party is over.

garbage1.jpg

Thanks very much everyone for the input, though I have thought long and hard about this today and for the past week and have decided that the thru-the-collar way just doesnt do it for me, I need a big tower... but biermuncher,
I shouldnt be limited because I plan on making a pass - thru tower , which is basically a T style tower, but instead of one vertical post in the center of the Tap-bar, there is two vertical posts on the ends of the tap bar. Its more shaped like this: i=i with 5 taps going across the equal sign.

so anyway the left vertical post will have a fan built directly inside it , pulling the cold air in from the freezer then the right post will have the beer lines coming up. so the air will come up through the left post, across the tap-bar, and down the right post. nice cool beer lines is what I will have :rockin:

Also , to fix the problem about not having acess to the taps when I have the lid open...
I think If I create a mechanism that will allow me to totally disconnect the hinge from the door I will be able to slide the door over or back so the taps are still accessable and I have access to the inside, of course I will only unhook the hinges when I am cleaning and need access to both the taps and kegs, otherwise, if I were only adding a keg or something, I would keep the access system in swing open mode.

this baby is going on casters so i have no worry about wall clearence either...

what do you all think?

I've been around my share of drunks and it would be a task to tip over a barrel that is bottom heavy, not top heavy.
Ever try to tip over a 55 gallon barrel that has 10 gallons in it?

stevecaaster said:
Thanks very much everyone for the input, though I have thought long and hard about this today and for the past week and have decided that the thru-the-collar way just doesnt do it for me, I need a big tower... but biermuncher,
I shouldnt be limited because I plan on making a pass - thru tower , which is basically a T style tower, but instead of one vertical post in the center of the Tap-bar, there is two vertical posts on the ends of the tap bar. Its more shaped like this: i=i with 5 taps going across the equal sign.

so anyway the left vertical post will have a fan built directly inside it , pulling the cold air in from the freezer then the right post will have the beer lines coming up. so the air will come up through the left post, across the tap-bar, and down the right post. nice cool beer lines is what I will have :rockin:

Also , to fix the problem about not having acess to the taps when I have the lid open...
I think If I create a mechanism that will allow me to totally disconnect the hinge from the door I will be able to slide the door over or back so the taps are still accessable and I have access to the inside, of course I will only unhook the hinges when I am cleaning and need access to both the taps and kegs, otherwise, if I were only adding a keg or something, I would keep the access system in swing open mode.

this baby is going on casters so i have no worry about wall clearence either...

what do you all think?
Just turn the freezer 180 so the lid flips toward the front then it won't hit the wall. SWMBO will love the casters too, then she won't have to walk as far to get you a homebrew. (flash back to 1954)

if you were to go with the garbage can idea would you fill it with ice to keep the beer cold... this seems like a hassel and not reasonable to do inside.

that is an awesome link i am planning on doing something like this soon. is it totally necessary to have a thermometer probe or can you just turn the unit to the lowest setting. ?

Assuming that your build is based on a freezer, then most likely you will need some sort of external controller to keep what's inside from freezing. Since every freezer and its controller is a little different, it is possible that it could work. Fill a keg half full of water, then put it in the freezer on the lowest setting, and see if it freezes. There's your answer with your freezer.

how difficult is it to rig up the thermometer i have good carpentry and building skills but dont know very much about electrical and wiring

how difficult is it to rig up the thermometer i have good carpentry and building skills but dont know very much about electrical and wiring

It's actually a temperature controller and their not hard at all to hookup.
And you will need one with a freezer.

I've been around my share of drunks and it would be a task to tip over a barrel that is bottom heavy, not top heavy.
Ever try to tip over a 55 gallon barrel that has 10 gallons in it?

Been there... done that... got shocked for it!!!

Story, 135lb coed doing a keg stand... as she was being set back down she fell and didn't let go! Dumped all the ice and water on the floor... it was funny until the water (that we all were standing in) reached the box fan a few feet away... We were all scrambling to stop the water and kept getting shocked!!! GOOD TIMES!!!

But to answer your question, yes it is relatively easy to turn a garbage can with a 1/2bbl keg in it over.

As wildwest said, controllers are pretty easy to wire, but I'm comfortable with wiring.
If you are really worried about it, something like this (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html) is plug and play for just a little more than the love controller I used on my build. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Back