looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend was looking at these and noticed they have bsp threads which he told me is not truly compatible with npt threads due to the various differences in the thread pitch and cut. With enough Teflon tape I'm sure they would be fine, but has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed this today. As long as I can get a decent flow without leak, I will be fine. But it's important to at least make it known.

The threads were a bit loose on dry fit I wrapped three times with Teflon tape and everything fit tight and no leaks with cold star San or boiling water ran for an hr. each. I'll be brewing 10gal. batch on Saturday and check back in.

grendle77 said:
The threads were a bit loose on dry fit I wrapped three times with Teflon tape and everything fit tight and no leaks with cold star San or boiling water ran for an hr. each. I'll be brewing 10gal. batch on Saturday and check back in.

I'd wrap it with Teflon regardless.

For those who have one of these pumps, can you post a picture on how you mounted it (other than directly to the output valve) and also a picture on the electrical connections. I see three wires comming out of the pump, where do they go and how is the power box that comes with it connected?

I bought one of these 11.5L pumps on Monday and it was delivered yesterday

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190635868928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I did a short test run last night (or so I thought), no hard data such as gpm at a given head, but my initial impression was that this will work for my application.

I will use this pump to prevent stratification in my HLT. Compared to my Chugger pump, it is much smaller and makes significantly less noise. The volume the solar pump moves is definitely less, but that shouldn’t matter in this case.

The pump is so quiet that the water splashing into the HLT makes far more noise than the pump. I submerged the hose end below the water line to get an idea of the noise level of the pump, it can barely be heard. I must have been distracted, because when I went to the brew space this morning the pump was still running, it ran from about 8pm to 7:15 this morning. The housing was as just warm to the touch.

I hope to have the time tomorrow to take some pics of the pump inside and out, the setup and maybe record some data. I will be using this on Saturday for an 11g brew day.

Scott

I did a quick flow test with the pump at a 53" headusing 1/2" silicone hose. It pumped 2gallons in 58 seconds. I removed the 1/2" mcmaster quick disconnect from the output side and ran the test again it moved 2 gallons in 54 seconds. I should mention that there is some restriction before the pump, another 1/2" qd with hose barb.

Pump
pump.jpg

Pump Components

pump components.jpg

Impeller

impeller and magnet.jpg

Power Supply

power supply.jpg

I think it is fine for the application I plan on. The only concern is the magnet on the impeller assembly. I am not sure it is rated for contact with food. I will be using this to recirculate water so acidic wort will not be an issue.

Scott

scott06903 said:
I will use this pump to prevent stratification in my HLT.
Scott

This is an amazing idea. My HLT is raised above the mash and the bottom of it is damn near 6' tall, I was wondering how I'd stir it. The pump is cheap enough and small enough to work fantastic.

Here's my whirlpool setup. I made this before I saw the pump would work right off the valve. I have camlock on this so I can use it on other kettles. I put a ball valve on the outlet side but haven't really needed it since the thing primes easily and the flow isn't so great that it needs to be reduced.

By the way, does everybody else have a kitchen with a kettle and a battery charger (what I was running the pump with) sitting in it?

pump.jpg

I did a quick flow test with the pump at a 53" headusing 1/2" silicone hose. It pumped 2gallons in 58 seconds. I removed the 1/2" mcmaster quick disconnect from the output side and ran the test again it moved 2 gallons in 54 seconds. I should mention that there is some restriction before the pump, another 1/2" qd with hose barb.

Pump
View attachment 58020

Pump Components

View attachment 58021

Impeller

View attachment 58022

Power Supply

View attachment 58023

I think it is fine for the application I plan on. The only concern is the magnet on the impeller assembly. I am not sure it is rated for contact with food. I will be using this to recirculate water so acidic wort will not be an issue.

Scott

That exposed magnet would make me nervous as well. I don't even like brass in my system. Has the seller verified that the magnet is food safe? My understanding was there is no such thing and that is why most food grade pumps have encapsulated their magnets in other materials (as well as stirbars, etc).

That exposed magnet would make me nervous as well. I don't even like brass in my system. Has the seller verified that the magnet is food safe? My understanding was there is no such thing and that is why most food grade pumps have encapsulated their magnets in other materials (as well as stirbars, etc).

I stole this from earlier in the thread.

I Emailed and asked about the exposed magnet this is the response I got back.

The picture is not so clear, the magnet is coated and not exposed as some have suggested that have not seen one of these pumps in person.

Sincerely,

Scott Cretney

Well my pump is now on its way. Just a warning for all without a pay pal account. It will take just a credit card name and address. and e-mail. But for some reason it didn't hit their system, just mine! After almost 2 weeks I called to figure it all out. I stated I didn't receive tracking info and the man didn't seem to understand that I could order on the site without paypal account. Basically he told me I did it wrong and "thought" I ordered it. Except it hit my CC account.... After I explained this, he found my order in the system and told me he would take care of it personally. He also e-mailed me tracking info. I was not upset because I didn't need the pump for any time. Also I'm pleased that even though the man doubted me at first, he was still willing to check around and help me. Well played sir.

I have two of these, they work fine for me. I purchased the first from greatbreweh.com, paid $84 with shipping. The (cheapo generic) DC power supply they furnished was DOA, I just used a spare I had from an old external hard drive. I e-mailed them about it, but got no response. I got the second one from http://www.sun-pump.com. Same exact pump (but no power supply) $61 shipped.

So what is the overall opinion on the pumps? Has anyone tried flow control by lowering the voltage? And last question is the magnet coating ok to be used with hot wort? I am in the middle of my build and for the price of these pumps I might run 3 of them and eliminate some valve.

I used the pump to circulate water in my HLT, it did a great job keeping an even temp. I verified this by taking temp readings at different depths.

As far as using this with wort, I am not sure. I believe the ceramic magnet is fine with water, as they generally do not corrode easily. Acidic wort may be different. From my inspection I did not see any coating on the magnet, but I was not looking for one either.

The pump is perfect for my application.

Scott

Anyone using these?
Wonder what the difference is between the "great brew eh" pump and the sun-pump.com, sun-15?
3 gal/min is enough for me.

They quoted me (2) sun-15 pumps shipped for $117. They also have a 1 year warranty.

(2) great brew pumps is about $140 shipped.

I'm looking at building a brew stand and these would push me tword a single, away from a 3 tier.

Tested my pump yesterday and seems to do a great job for what I'm looking to do.

Now off to build my stand.

I pre-ordered the SS version and have sent a couple emails inquiring for an ETA on shipping dates with no response. Has anyone else received any info?

TheOnionKnight said:
I pre-ordered the SS version and have sent a couple emails inquiring for an ETA on shipping dates with no response. Has anyone else received any info?

I did the same, asking about never receiving an invoice, and got a short response. Hmm...

I will let you know I inquired about these pumps directly from the maker in China. They can produce them with SS fittings and they are very cheap at $26-$28 but you have to order qty 1000. That is too rich for my blood, maybe they have a broker that gets them smaller qty.

I've considered purchasing for resale, if I could get smaller qty. It would be awesome to offer a mag drive pump for $40

I've used these pumps twice now and worked perfect.

Since I've never used a march or any other pump for brewing, I can't compare any of the features or real world use. However, these last two brews were the first time I haven't had to lift full pots of wort over and over again. Doing wonders for my back :)

I did the same, asking about never receiving an invoice, and got a short response. Hmm...

I called when I didn't receive an invoice. Took me two calls and a message but I finally got a hold of HIM. After he told me I was wrong he looked it up in his system and found my pump still sitting in the shop 2 weeks after order.. He sent it out that day and it was here a couple days later.

Haven't truly used it yet but its small and silent.

I thought about taking the long machine bolts out and using longer ones to fabricate a mounting system. If the longer bolts could extend past the end of the pump, they could be used for mounting.
just food for thought.
Cheers

There is a seller on eBay who is very responsive and that is where I got mine. Think it was $60 including shipping and I just used a 12V adapter I had laying around. Works fine and very quiet. I use to recirculate during mash for an hour then to pump wort through plate chiller after boil. Hard to beat for the price.

I called when I didn't receive an invoice. Took me two calls and a message but I finally got a hold of HIM. After he told me I was wrong he looked it up in his system and found my pump still sitting in the shop 2 weeks after order.. He sent it out that day and it was here a couple days later.

Haven't truly used it yet but its small and silent.

I thought about taking the long machine bolts out and using longer ones to fabricate a mounting system. If the longer bolts could extend past the end of the pump, they could be used for mounting.
just food for thought.
Cheers

Are you referring to the SS version?

I ordered one from ebay to play with.

Recycled a 12 volt wall plug. This pump is pretty small but seems to work fine.
I took the head apart and if the magnet is coated I can't tell by looking at it. I'll run some cleaner and sanitizer through it a few times before I put it to work.

smallpump.jpg

Thanks for posting this image, it gave me true realization of the pumps size. I feel this is a huge benefit. I will be using them with automated system, it will create a real tight plumbing. Thanks I'll be grabbing two of the stainless on preoeder.

Thanks for posting this image, it gave me true realization of the pumps size. I feel this is a huge benefit. I will be using them with automated system, it will create a real tight plumbing. Thanks I'll be grabbing two of the stainless on preoeder.

The pump weighs less than the fittings attached.

I had to look at the output hose to know it was running. It is dead quiet.

The videos are annoying... its like they could have just posted a video showing the pump without calling out every viewer as a naysayer. Instead of "here's the flowrate"... its "haha you are wrong here's the flowrate".

lousy way to sell a product.

Just curious as to why 2 male camlock fittings on pump instead of female fittings. How do you have it connected to your system? Also, if you connect the pump directly to a vessle with camlocks. do you think the weight of the fittings will compromise the ports of the pump ?

Just curious as to why 2 male camlock fittings on pump instead of female fittings. How do you have it connected to your system? Also, if you connect the pump directly to a vessle with camlocks. do you think the weight of the fittings will compromise the ports of the pump ?

Just hooked it up to test.
I think I'll put it in a box of some sort.

Well only a few days left to pre-order the Stainless models at same cost. I still can't figure out if I should get two of these for my automated setup or do with chuggers. I realize this is a much slower pump, but this will be an advantage as I may not require throttling while continuously sparging in brutus20 setup.

2x Stainless DC pumps $140 shipped
1x Stainless Chugger $145+shipping (Continue to march as 2nd pump)

Someone else give me some feedback, so I can make up my d@mn mind.

I ordered two. I will be pissed if I get these and the magnet isn't coated.

I ordered one and tested it today. It pumped thru a boil no problems. Magnet on mine was not coated. 2 GPM was max flo with very little discharge pressure 2-3 PSI

I ordered two. I will be pissed if I get these and the magnet isn't coated.

I'm still waiting on my SS pre-order to ship. How bad is it if the magnet is not coated? If its not, is there a way to coat the magnet with silicone or something?

Back