1st brew comments/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1970

Reaction score
As the title says, I am 72 hours into my first brew. I am brewing a German Alt. Unfortunately a friend of mine who had a hyrdrometer he was going to let me borrow, had to go out of town unexpectantly. So therefore, I have not been able to take any readings. I steeped some grains, then boiled 6lbs total of extract in 3.5 gallons of water. I cooled, then transfered to primary and pitched my yeast (dry). Started fermenting aout 8 hours later. Within 24 hours I had about 1 inch of foam. (Never more than that, with a 6.8 gallon carboy). By the 48th hour the airlock only had about 1 bubble every 2 minutes and the foam had subsided. I moved to secondary fermenter at that point, and now 24 hours later (72 total) I am getting about 1 bubble every 2.5 minutes.

Does this seem normal? I thought I would get fermentation for about a week total.

Any comments/concerns about the comments above would be apreciated.

Thanks

6lbs of extract in 3.5 gallons of water? Seems like a lot. Did you top it to 5 gallons with cold water? Maybe it was too high a gravity for the yeast. What was your original gravity reading and what is it now? It could be just done.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, but yes, I did top it to 5 gallons total. Unfortunately I was not able to get any initial readings.

I am going to stop by the home brew supply store and pick up a hydrometer tomorrow. What is the best way to get a reading once it is in the secondary fermenter?

Tim

I use a winethief to take a sample and then put it in a test cylinder. You could probably siphon some into a cylinder as well. I wouldn't, personally, put the hydometer in the carboy because if it broke, well, that would be bad... :eek:

As long as you're seeing bubbles, it's fermenting. It won't hurt anything to put it into the secondary a little early. As long as you wait for it to stop bubbling before bottling it. I would wait at least another week in secondary, then take a hydrometer reading. If it's where you think it should be, then bottle.

Siphon is the best way to take a reading once you've got it in the carboy.

Back