Foaming Problem with Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
So, im getting extreaming foaming with my kegerator and i cant figure out why, Low pressure, high pressure, i even disconnected the air and poured a few drafts until it wouldnt pour anymore and then reconnected the co2 and still massive foam.... any thoughts.

This might help....

Make sure you FULLY open the tap quickly. Opening slowly due to fear of foam causes more foam. Tilt the hell out of the glass at the beginning and then begin to upright the glass once there's an inch or so of beer at the bottom. Also, find the page about balancing your system and go through all of the equations - that should help.

You need to post more info...keg temp, line length and size, how the beer was carbonated, etc.....from my recent plunge into kegging, i've learned there are many things that can contribute to excessive foam.

My hose is quite short, (the one in the kegorator anyway) and what I do is I turn the valve off and relieve most of the pressure off the keg prior to pouring my beer. As a matter of fact I will leave the valve off for days. The beers fill slow, but a perfect foam head every time.

I have 5 feet of about 5/16 or 1/2 id line, forced carbed it... it was also a 3 gallon batch of wild hop ale in a 5 gallon corni... that may have been the problem with all that head space.

I have 5 feet of about 5/16 or 1/2 id line, forced carbed it... it was also a 3 gallon batch of wild hop ale in a 5 gallon corni... that may have been the problem with all that head space.

First of all, that line is way too big. Ideally, you want around 10ft of 3/16" line (at least that's what most have great success with, including myself). Second, HOW did you force carb it? Describe what you did. Depending on the method, you could have very easily over-carbonated the beer. What's your serving temp? Was the beer force carbonated at this temp? What PSI did you carbonate it at and for how long? Did you shake the keg?....etc. etc.

Back