First Stout- any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloppyGriffin

Reaction score
Marris Otter-9lbs
Roasted Barley-0.5lbs
Chocolate Malt-10oz
Crystal Malt 40L-8oz
Amber Malt(in place of Biscuit Malt)-2lb

HOPS

0.5 oz Cluster(60 min)
0.25oz Northern Brewer(50 min)
1oz Fuggle(10 min)
0.25oz Fuggle or Sterling (2 min or flameout)

Is this a decent build for a stout?

Double Chocolate Peppermint. Gonna begin no later than may so that it will be well suited for Christmas. I already have the roasted barley though. What does flaked barley bring to the table that would replace the amber? originally it was supposed to be biscuit malt but the supplier i bought from did not have any though th eother place did. However, the first place offered crushed grains at no extra cost and seeing how I am without a grain mill at the moment, it seemed the more logical thing to do.

yeah that would be fine, in a bigger stout like yours flaked barley becomes less important because flaked barley also gives the impression of full body thats why guinness at 4.0% alcohol tastes like a big beer.

i see. Well I suppose that if i were to use something like malodextrin to help with mouth feel that the flaked barley maybe too much or vice versa. Thanks for the info, i begin brewing at the end of the month. if all goes well I'll post it in the recipe section.Thanks.

You'll get more bitterness from adding at 60, so you can use less hops. You'll not get any noticeable flavor from a 50 minute addition.

Back