Cider fermented out ridiculously fast, what now!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
OK, so I wanted to juice my own apples up and brew up some of the real stuff, but I don't have a press so I had to use a juicer (extracts about 50% juice by weight of apples, pretty bad, but then I do some manual squeezing to get as high as 65-70%).

Thing is, it's so laborious that I have done it in batches - 2 litres about 5 days ago, pitched yeast (bayanus cider yeast, nothing else added). Another 2 litres added to the primary 2 days later. Fermentation seemed to have slowed in the meantime, but seemed to resume OK when I added the second batch of juice. All for practical reasons, though I had read somewhere that adding in stages like that MIGHT improve flavour too.

I was ready to add another batch today and I see there's no activity - I put in the hydrometer and it's down to less than 1.000 already (from OG 1052)?! Can't even quite measure it due to lack of depth, but it tastes a little sparkly but has basically fermented almost completely dry, probably in 995 territory.

Is that possible? The store-bought pasteurized juice I have brewed before took, I kid you not, a good month to ferment out (though using S04), so I reckoned I had plenty of time to add my juice in stages.

So what now? Add the next 2-4-6 litres, whatever, and hope fermentation restarts. Repitch if it doesn't? Make another batch separately and mix them later in the secondary?

Experts, help appreciated!

P.S. I am happy with the dryness as I grew up with British-type dry cider, just wondering how to continue adding to the batch!

At 2 liters every couple days, the yeast are keeping up with the sugar. Just keep adding more juice. Stir a bit each time and the yeast will do their trick.

At 2 liters every couple days, the yeast are keeping up with the sugar. Just keep adding more juice. Stir a bit each time and the yeast will do their trick.

Thanks - you think they ought to wake up again? It would be OK to stick some more yeast in if things get stuck, right?

I am just still amazed at how quickly it was done as compared to the shop pasteurized stuff. I know it's a small quantity, but so was this one..!

Back