How high to fill the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschmitt

Reaction score
I racked my first 5 gallon batch to secondary. Secondary is a better bottle. How high should I fill the secondary? Main batch was 5.25 to start going into the main fermenter. Now after allowing for trub etc it does not appear to be a full five gallons. Worried about it getting too much oxygen if I don't fill to the neck. Tried to upload photo...should I top this off to the neck? It is an Octoberfest Marzan if it matters.

photo.jpg

It looks OK.

Its going to outgas some and its not going to be a long secondary like a RIS or a wine.

Should the secondary be filled up to the neck or close to? My first beer will be headin there in a few days and knowing this ahead of time would be great.

Should the secondary be filled up to the neck or close to? My first beer will be headin there in a few days and knowing this ahead of time would be great.

Yes it should. It's not a big issue if it will only be there for a week or so,but like amandabab said if it is a RIS or Barleywine or other brew that needs time then it is more important to be full so it does not oxidize

BrewerBear said:
Yes it should. It's not a big issue if it will only be there for a week or so,but like amandabab said if it is a RIS or Barleywine or other brew that needs time then it is more important to be full so it does not oxidize

I am not familiar with RIS, what is it short for? I'm new to the actual physical brewing as well as to the forums. I don't believe mine will be too long. Just a pumpkin ale.

I am not familiar with RIS, what is it short for? I'm new to the actual physical brewing as well as to the forums. I don't believe mine will be too long. Just a pumpkin ale.

Russian Imperial Stout. Really high gravity, takes months in the carboy.

Back