Questions before brewing my first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor_b

Reaction score
Hi there, I just bought a kit and a recipe (extract) from AHB, and have some questions before brewing tomorrow.

1- The guy that helped me at the store said muslin bags weren't neccessary for the boil, he said I can just throw the hops in the pot and boil away, is this correct? He also said I can either strain the hops from the fermenter or even leave them in the wort when I dump into the fermenter, is this also correct? They'll just get left behind when I transfer to the bottling bucket?

2- When steeping grains, all I need is a large nylon grain bag (I bought one)? The recipe didn't come with a bag for steeping the grains, but the guy said I could just use the nylon grain bag, is this correct? How do I steep in that large bag? Clip the opening to the edge of the pot, or tie a little knot? It's resuable though, so I would have to get the knot out.

3- Do I take the 3-piece airlock cap off when feremnting? Or just put the whole assembly on there? I though it was the whole assembly but I could be wrong.

Thats it for now, I'm sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for the help! This site is amazing, I've been reading for the last month on here. IT's been extremely helpful.

congrats on your first batch! be prepared, you're about to get several opinions on each of your questions. all of which will probably be correct and you'll have to decide which way you want to go.

my 2cents

1)we just throw ours in the boil and then strain when we move to primary. first few batches we didn't strain. started straining not because of the hops but to help aerate the wort. when you siphon either to secondary or bottle/keg you'll leave the trub on the bottom of the bucket.

2)we use a large muslin bag for grains. just pin the bag to the side so it doesn't lay on the bottom. we just clip one side so as as we take the temp we put the thermometer in the grains. REMEMBER not to squeeze the bag when you remove the grains, just let it drain on its own.

3)we use the entire air lock.

GOOD LUCK, remember to have fun and never never forget that YOU ARE MAKING BEER!

Welcome to the obsession!

1 - Yup, you can absolutely dump the hops directly into the pot when boiling. You _can_ attempt to strain them out before they hit the fermenter but, truth be told, you'll be very unlikely to notice the difference if you just leave them in there instead (it's what I do). If you start using pumps and counter-flow chillers, this answer changes - but when you're just starting out and using the kind of equipment you're likely to have, it's just not a concern worth worrying about!

2 - Yes, steep those grains in that bag. If the bag has a drawstring, you're in business. If not, your best bet is to tie it off loosely (best not to risk dumping a bunch of grain husks into your wort) when steeping - but if the bag is big enough, you could also just leave it wide open but clip the top of the bag over the side of the pot all the way around (if this makes sense).

3) Unless transferring from one vessel to another or taking test samples, never remove any piece of the airlock when fermenting - put the pieces together, fill with sanitizer or vodka, and leave it be. Sounds like your instincts are serving you well here! ;)

Enjoy your first brew day!

I don't strain hops, just throw them right in. often I bottle directly from my primary too (if i'm using carbonation drops instead of priming sugar), and as long as your careful all that stuff stays behind.

use the grain bag clipped to the side. or, take that muslin bag you have and put the grains in their, then tie a knot and just throw the whole thing out when you're done. those things cost like 50 cents and are in my opinion no good to be re-used anyway.

I use the whole airlock

1. you can toss hops into the boil but you need to have a way to try to keep most of them in the boil kettle when you are done boiling - read the stickies and search for whirlpool, or paint strainer
2. I do all grain so I don't know for sure - read the stickies and search steeping - you can proabably use a paint strainer?
3. you can keep the airlock cap on or off...I typically set up my blowoff and just leave it - read the stickies and search blowoff

The first few times can be challenging but it's worth it in the end!

The airlock cap has little holes in it to let excess CO2 escape. Not to mention,keep the little piece inside in place over the lift tube. You can use the bag for the grains,& just get a cake cooling rack that fits in the bottom of your brew kettle to keep the grain bag off the hot pot bottom.

Thanks for the answers guys!

Another question:

1- I have oxyclean free to use as a cleaner, and I just cleaned my primary bucket. I am just wondering what you guys do to clean yours. I put 1/4 scoop or less and added 3 gallons or so of water, shook it up on and off (with the lid on) for 5 minutes or so. Is this an OK way of cleaning, or do I need to let the Oxyclean soak?

I don't use a bucket for primary fermentation, but when I use oxyclean to clean plastic I usually let it soak for five minutes and then rinse. Long soaks in oxyclean are only necessary when there is built-up residue and soot that doesn't come off easily or to remove bottle labels.

don't forget to put the airlock into the lid before putting the lid on the bucket, otherwise your next thread will be whether to leave the grommet in the bucket or reach in and grab it. (leave it in)

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Actually have a question regarding airlock/blow off.

I'm brewing an english pale ale with a OG of 1.052 with WLP005 British ale yeast. Would you think a blow off would be necessary? I'm using a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket. Or will an airlock suffice?

I ask because I will be out of town for a month and I don't want to ask anyone to monitor the fermenter etc. I'm thinking an airlock will suffice since the beer isnt a big, high alcohol beer. Just wanted ya'lls input.

Thanks!

you'll probably be fine, especially given the size of your bucket. It could never hurt to set up a blow off tube just to be safe, but i highly doubt you'll need it.

Alright another question...

I am almost positive a swamp cooler is going to be necessary. The beer is fermenting now, but the house will be getting up to 80*F+ during the day.

I just fill the tub up with with water, and place 1 or 2 frozen water bottles in there morning and night? How do I get an idea on the actual temperature of fermentation? Put my floating thermometer in the water?

yeah, a thermometer is the way to go. I use a sticker thermometer that i put on the outside of my thermometer

REMEMBER not to squeeze the bag when you remove the grains, just let it drain on its own.

This is only the second time Ive seen this, why would you not want to squeeze the grain bag after boiling? :confused:

REMEMBER not to squeeze the bag when you remove the grains, just let it drain on its own.

This is only the second time Ive seen this, why would you not want to squeeze the grain bag after boiling? :confused:

I think its like the tea bag scenario.... Dont squeeze bag cause it puts the crappy tea in your cup

My LHBS guy says squeeze away

I have not tried this !!!!;)

Back