magic chef for fermentation fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a magic chef mini-fridge for fermentation? Will a 6-gal carboy fit? They are more than $100 cheaper than the sanyo that everyone seems to like, and I'm sick of waiting for one to show up on craigslist.

The reviews I've read of magic chef as a general fridge aren't great. I'm wondering if it will be ok with a temp control system added.

for example, this fridge:

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I've never seen or used that exact fridge, but I do have a 4.2 cubic foot fridge tha I use for a kegerator.

You are going to need to get your hands on one and measure it. My 4.2 will NOT hold a carboy because of the humb at the back that covers the compressor. There is not enough space between that hump and the door (which has already had the molded-in shelving removed) for the carboy to sit down on the floor.

I would have to build a shelft that sat on top of the compressor hump... but then I wouldn't have enough height to get the carboy in.

On the other hand, I have seen folks on here that CAN fit a carboy on the floor between the compressor hump and the de-shelved door.

Did you try searching this forum for the specific model number? (MCBR445B2)

temp control system added

Sounds like a good idea, but I havent seen this mod or found a thermostat "I" can manipulate, to mod a fridge to hold around the 60 degrees I'd like to ferment at.

One attempt at using an old fridge turned up, shoving a thermometer in showed temp swings (when i opened door to peek) of 45 to 65 (i did say old frig, unsuitable for food storage, didnt i) Would also be nice if I could find a digital thermo that kept track of high and lows for me.

Back