Northern Mystery:- last tweak before brewday 7th Oct.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi again all,

I am planning Ag # 5 Wednesday.

The last brew suffered very poor efficiency so i'll be doing my first batch sparge this time around.

The recipe below is based on all my grain arriving in time, otherwise i will be down 500G pale malt. the pilsner is thee for no other reason than i want to give mysef a better chance of a decent strength but do not want to put sugar in the boil.

so here we have it 20 l brew
Based on a 65 % efficiency and using all the grain i have ( that would be up to a kilo of pilsner malt) i would get the following:-

4340 pale
1000 pilsner malt ( max)( possibly only 500 grams)
250 Crystal
80 chocolate

28 g ( 7.6%) northdown for 60
30 g (6.2%) first gold for 15
20g Crystal (3.5%) for 2

This would give the following:

OG 1058
IBU 35.6

ABV:- 5.29%

Obviously if i get better efficiency i get a stronger brew that i can dilute as needed. The question is to do with the hops. i think i have some northern brewer ( and this might be an idea to have 10 grms late? in the freezer and i know i have some saaz and some nugget too.

WOuld i benefit dry hopping this?
If so do i just sterilise a hop bag and put the hops in the fv after a few days then let it sit for 3-3 days?

or is this enough? I mean the IBU will be less the better efficiency i get right?

Thanks

this wll be my last brew before christmas and the guys a the club have been taking the p out of the bad effieciency. i want this one to hit them hard on the tastebuds ( for the right reasons)
help?

Back