British Malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is Mild Malt and Maris Otter the same? If not are they are interchangeable? I just need #.75 for a recipe.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but i don't think so. For one, MO is a base malt, so most recipes probably need more than you do.

Second, the wiki says Mild Malt is "also called "English Mild" - a light specialty malt used in Brown Ales."

Is Mild Malt and Maris Otter the same? If not are they are interchangeable? I just need #.75 for a recipe.

Thanks

Maris Otter is a barley cultivar. Mild malt is a style of malt. What is it that you need .75 lb of? Showing the recipe would be helpful in trying to provide you with an answer.

Maris Otter is a barley cultivar. Mild malt is a style of malt. What is it that you need .75 lb of? Showing the recipe would be helpful in trying to provide you with an answer.

You mean mild is a method of malting so a mild malt could also be MO or another variety of barley?

Here is the recipe

Big Spikes IPA

#10 2 row
.25 Malted Wheat
.25 American Munich
.75 British Mild Malt
6 oz American Victory
6 oz Belgian Cara Munich

1 oz NZ Super Alpha @60
1 oz NZ Super Alpha @30
1 oz NZ Super Alpha @30
Wyeast 1318 London Ale

Looking at that recipe I would just substitute the mild malt for 0.5lbs of carapils or some other dextrin malt. Some extra body is the only benefit I can see such a small amount of mild malt providing.

Back