Ow! My Face!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricK The Red

Reaction score
Funny story..heh

I was at work yesterday drilling a hole through a double thick cinder block wall with a Hilti hammer drill (huge metal jack hammer like drill), when the bit grabbed and spun the drill motor into my face!!!

I was six feet up on a ladder and in a corner, so my options were limited as far as where I was in relation to the drill. Thank God I was wearing my safety glasses or I'd have lost an eye!

Does my nose look crooked?

Ride_002.jpg

Prop's for wearing the safety glasses. I don't use them enough. When I was drilling a hole in a board this weekend for my kegerator, I blew a bunch of sawdust into my eye, luckily it didn't take to long to clear up.

I need to get serious about wearing them again.

Damn, that looks like it could have been nasty. Another set o' props for safety glasses. I'm glad you're okay. It's so much better to read about how bad it could have been than to see a "memorial gifts can be sent to . . ." thread.

Chad

+1 for safety glasses... When my brother and I were in Arkansas doing some installations on transit buses he had some metal shavings fall in his eye from using the step bit. I rushed him over to the eye wash station, only to find 2 things:
1. The push bar was missing
2. When I used a wrench on the valve, brown water came out
3. The drain wasn't hooked up so we got water all over our feet

Luckily I was able to get him over to the circular hand wash station and flush his eye out. So we both learned two valuable lessons that day, always wear safety glasses and make sure the shop you're doing contract work in has it's safety equipment tested to code!

Does my nose look crooked?

Yeah. That must have hurt like a *****. Good thing you didn't come off that ladder in a dramatic way. I'd say it was lucky you were wearing your safety glasses, but luck had nothing to do with that. Glad you're okay.

Does your face hurt? Cuz it's killin me! :D

Glad you're OK though, and all you got out of the deal was a slightly crooked nose and posting about it on the internet.

Been there, done that. You're lucky you didn't break your arm. I always try to get up the ladder a bit higher, so that the drill is closer to shoulder or waist level, but sometimes your situation dictates otherwise. That **** HURTS!!!!! Don't push on the drill so hard, it's less likely to grab...........

What trade are you in, and what was the hole for???? Just being nosey.

Holy cow! Be sure to post pictures to show how that nasty bruise is progressing.
Glad that there was no serious damage!

You bash yourself in the face with a power drill and then you claim you're a rocket scientist? :confused:

Erik. Tell the truth. You're employed by the village, aren't you? :D

Nothing a few homebrews wont cure, thanks to the safety glasses.
My dad is a carpenter who does some masonry stuff too so ive used a Hilti hammer on a few occasions, they're wonderful tools for dealing with any kind of rock or cement but not very forgiving. Ive twisted my wrist pretty badly twice and when I was drilling into the rock in my back yard to put up my hop trellis the drill caught and the handle nearly took out my groin. Im glad to see your ok though and amazed that you didnt fall off the ladder.

If you're using a drill, it's more like rocket surgery! I've caught drills that spun around as well, but I don't think I've managed to catch it with my face before.

Have you ever tried drilling 1/4" plate stainless with a single speed heavy duty drill with a large non-cobalt bit? I got lucky and just bruised my forearm... ;) I learned my lesson after that and I always get cobalt bits and drill slow.

Gotta Watch those Hilti Hammers, I had one drop the bit and spin around on me and break my wrist a couple of years ago when I was Channeling out a Manhole. Glad you are alright man.

I test Jet Engines in a test cell. We're down for calibration this week, so I'm doing some building maintenance and some system upgrades. The hole is for routing power cables out into the test bay.

Sam_Christmas_018.jpg

those High torque drills are ***** when the bit jambs. Clad you came out none the worse for ware... Oh wait you didnt always look like that.....:)

dont lie thats the new 1 billion BTU Godzilla burner you been hiding......

Back