Help with Re-Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markclewis1

Reaction score
I have a Russian Imperial Stout that I bottled in bombers. The beer turned out incredibly nice and I want to enter it in a local competition. To do so, I have to provide the beer in 2-3 twelve ounce bottles.

So, looking for advice on the best way to transfer the beer from 2 bombers to twelve ounce bottles. Should I just pop the bottles and slow pour them through a funnel to the twelves? Should I stir them before doing so? Should I add a small amount of priming sugar to the twelves?

What is the best way to 'Re-Bottle' a beer and mostly maintain its properties: flavor, carbonation, etc.?

Thank you!

I really doubt it. Not only will you loose all of the Co2, but you will expose the beer to oxygen. Pouring would absolutely add oxygen. Maybe you can rack from one bottle to the other with the tube at the very bottom of the second bottle, but you will still be out of carbonation and exposed to oxygen.

Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.

When you enter a contest, you want to be entering the beer in the best state possible. There's really no easy way to move beer from one bottle to another that wouldn't perhaps risk oxydation.

There will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers, and set it aside, JUST for contests. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try something like this before submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size.

Talk about cutting corners. ;)

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

There will be plenty more in your brewing career. :mug:

Besides most bjcp contests allow to enter 22 ouncers as well as pints. Double check the rules and enter what you have if you insist.

Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.

When you enter a contest, you want to be entering the beer in the best state possible. There's really no easy way to move beer from one bottle to another that wouldn't perhaps risk oxydation.

There will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers, and set it aside, JUST for contests. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try something like this before submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size.

Talk about cutting corners. ;)

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

There will be plenty more in your brewing career. :mug:

Besides most bjcp contests allow to enter 22 ouncers as well as pints. Double check the rules and enter what you have if you insist.

and there you have it :mug:

Thank you for the advice. I am going to do just that....nothing. This contest truly isn't worth that much to me. I had some apprehension about attempting to 're-bottle' anyways, just thought I would seek advice to see if there was any clear way around it. I may just check with the sponsors to see if they will accept a bomber, if not, just gonna pass this time and try to better prepare in the future!

Thank you!

You can bring the bomber and have them try it. Just pass it around to get opinions. At our club last night we had a contest. It was a relaxed setting. One guy brought a bomber and we all graded it despite being in a bomber. For our club, contests provide feedback so we can improve our skills. The bomber was fine.

Back