UK or US fuggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Which type is better suited to make bitters and english style beers? I assume UK?:confused:

Yes UK. I don't think US Fuggles are actually Fuggles, they're just called that, although I'm not certain. I believe for a US variety, Willamette is the best UK Fuggles substitute. I made an Oatmeal Stout with it once that was delicious.

US fuggles may have a slightly different profile than the UK variety, but I imagine they would both be just fine. I have been using Yakima Goldings instead of Kent Goldings for a while now, and they work just fine.

i've tried many recent batches with both. The UK stuff is cleaner, has a spicier flavor, and is just better tasting IMO.

basically it's the same plant...it's just grown under different conditions. willamette is a fuggle variety...more of a hybrid of fuggle.

Check the description from hops direct, they have a regular UK fuggles that's 8-9% then a organic UK fuggles that's 4-5% with both having different aroma qualities. This is a hop variety that is new to me and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Buy Pellet Hops - Puterbaugh Farms

I have made some pretty good milds and bitters with US Fuggles. Definitely not as spicy and earthy, but in a pinch, they make a good beer. Willamette is also good, though UK Fuggles and EKG are really the best.

I have never seen 9% fuggles. I would stick with the 4-5%, as thats more in-line with traditional English ales.

Willamette is is a genetic triploid, in part derived from a tetraploid Fuggle. The flavor is mild, but similar to Fuggles, as is its aroma.

US Fuggles and UK Fuggles are, as noted, the same plant genetically; there is a subtle yet noticeable difference between the two, presumably due to environmental factors. Regardless of where they are grown, Fuggles are a seeded hops variety. Seeds are dimly viewed by most brewers, so many prefer the seedless variant Willamette.

Note also that Styrian Goldings are also Fuggles.

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back