how to chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
...I know, pop a homebrew and kick up the feet on the couch...

really though, I need to buy an immersion chiller, but don't know how to use it. looks like my choice is to hook to the washing machine taps, or a hose tap outside.

I want to do it in my kitchen, but don't have the necessary connection there. WTF do I do? I really don't want to have to lug the hot wort outside just to chill it.

right now, I dunk the brewpot in the sink, and let the cold water cool it, but it takes way too long.

...I know, pop a homebrew and kick up the feet on the couch...

really though, I need to buy an immersion chiller, but don't know how to use it. looks like my choice is to hook to the washing machine taps, or a hose tap outside.

I want to do it in my kitchen, but don't have the necessary connection there. WTF do I do? I really don't want to have to lug the hot wort outside just to chill it.

right now, I dunk the brewpot in the sink, and let the cold water cool it, but it takes way too long.

Instead of just cold water, you can use ice water. This works great for small batches, esp. if you have a sink in your basement/ laundry room.

For larger batches, this won't work because the wort won't cool fast enough. You can use an immersion chiller. You can hook an immersion chiller up to most regular faucets if you get an adapter. Most HBS shops who sell immersion chillers often carry adapters as well.

Checkout the one I made.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/diy-wort-chiller-84733/

On an extract beer with 2 gallons H20, used the faucet. Took about 30 minutes to get down to a good temp. (Ran it longer) Once I have the room, and do larger batches, I am getting a pump/ ice water basin.

thanks - that looks like what I need - is that smaller tube for an ice cube maker? maybe a trip to the home despot is in order. Bet I could solder in a connection to the sink, just like you did. I'm sure that larger tube would work better, guess I'll have to check my budget.

Garden hose faucet adapter
Correct compression fitting (or solder) for your tube
adapter from your fitting to garden hose

I got a new aerator thing that has aerator built into the hose adapter. I went cheap and used 1/' copper pipe, but here is the 'receipt'

23051 1/4"ODOX20'COP COIL 19.77
25617 COMP CONN 1/4X1/2 A- 4.12
34686 F HO X FIP SWV 3/4X1/2 4.97

Net 28.86 +6% total 30.60

Hope this helps!

never done it but, they say dump sanitized frozen bottles of water into the hot wort. As long as the plastic doesn't melt seems like it would work great. I used to set my brewpot into an ice water bath and continuously add ice, but I just made an counter-flow chiller several days ago, so...hopefully better chilling and less mess!

Latest posts

Back