7 Cubic foot freezer fit a keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 cubic feet is right on. You'll need to know the inner dimensions of the freezer, and unfortunately most online sites list the outer dimensions of the freezer not the inner :(. Most of the 7 c.f freezers I've seen have had dimensions big enough for a commercial keg. I had to ask several people to measure the inside dimensions before I found a chest freezer the right size. Though somehow I went from looking at 7 c.f. to buying a 23 c.f. Here are a few sites that may help out.
Chest Freezer Conversion for Serving Homebrew
Draft Beer Keg Size Dimensions

Should fit no problem, but getting it in there will be hard on your back. Make you have two people to lower it in there.

cool. thanks alot. yeah i know it will be a B*tch to get it up in there, but i cant find a mini-fridge that will fit a full keg and i dont want to purchase the kegerator for all that money.. thanks again for all the input. plus i saw a 7 cf for 45 bucks on craigslist so thats why i'm askin'

I would get the dimensions of the "deep" part of the chest freezer. Sometimes the compressor hump screws things up.

ok will do.. thanks. it will be so much easier if they just sold more common mini-fridges with a little more room.. wouldn't have this damn problem.. thanks

For what it's worth, Sam's Club is selling a Kegerator for $473.

0006763864533_L4.jpg

Now for that price, you get the fridge with an LED Temperature display, 5# CO2 bottle and regulator. You will only need to get the proper keg coupler depending your what commercial beer you buy.

The chest freezer route will cost you.

$188 for 7 cu. ft chest freezer
$55 for temp controller
$57 for 5# CO2 bottle
$38 for single gauge regulator
$15 for beer line and gas hose & clamps
$35 for shank, faucet and tap handle
$7 for lumber & screws for a collar
=========================
Total $395 for the freezer version (not counting the block & tackle needed to lower the 160 lb. weight of a full 1/2 barrel of beer). :D

i know.. i got deals on most of those items from craigslist and the swap meet.. i did the math and if i wasnt going to get a good price i woulda just bought the kegerator.. but thanks for breaking it down for me.. appreciate it!

p.s. i found a 7 CF for 45.00 on craigslist so i'm prolly gonna get that one.. save money where i can..

The height of the chest shouldn't actually be too much of an issue if you plan on putting a collar on it...which is a pretty good idea, unless you're getting a tower. But yeah the deep part could be an issue if it isn't wide enough. If all else fails use the answer that has fixed most of my problems in the last day...cut it in half

With a 7cyft you will most likely need a collar for accept the sanke tap. inless you get the low profile ones those MIGHT fit. I have an 8.8 and had to add a collar. This would add extra height to lift a full keg over unless you add it to the lid.

Back