Whats the best way to cut the top off of a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisknight

Reaction score
Get yourself a metal lathe...

Keg-Lathe.jpg

The lathe is ice, but I will take the CNC plasma cutter table over that any day, you can't beat the speed of a robotic arm with 4000 degree super heated gas.

My brother used to be a welder for Honda & he knows all kinds of people into machining & welding. The lathe belongs to a friend of his. My first conversion was a PITA burning through cut off wheels & sawzall blades. The 2nd 2 on the lathe took about 3 or 4 minutes going slow.

Do you guys think 1" square tubing would be enough to support a single tier system?

I have a 90 degree angle grinder and made a wood fixture with a 2 inch PVC end cap to fit the spear housing OD. It takes about 7 minutes to cut a 12 inch hole.

1 in tubing is a bit small but if it is 1/8 wall you could use it if you diagonally brace it well enough. I would rather go with 1.5 or 2 inch X .095 wall. 15 gals ea times 8.33 LBS per LB = 375 LBS plus the weight of the kegs lids and burners is a lot of weight.

Back