skipping the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I am considering skipping racking to the secondary with my next batch of APA. I read many threads that say keeping in on the yeast cake for a month and then bottling will work very well for many styles of beer.
Since I do 5 gallon batches and primary in a 6.5 gal carboy, will the large amount of head space in the primary effect my beer? I thought one of the reasons for moving to a secondary is to move the wort to a smaller vessel to eliminate head space?

goswell said:
I am considering skipping racking to the secondary with my next batch of APA. I read many threads that say keeping in on the yeast cake for a month and then bottling will work very well for many styles of beer.
Since I do 5 gallon batches and primary in a 6.5 gal carboy, will the large amount of head space in the primary effect my beer? I thought one of the reasons for moving to a secondary is to move the wort to a smaller vessel to eliminate head space?
One reason to move to secondary is to allow the flavors to blend without the risk of getting off-flavors from the yeast. This is good practice for bigger beers.

Another reason is for clarification. However, the same result can be achieved simply by leaving the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Having said that, I routinely ferment my ales for 3-4 weeks and have never had a problem. While impatience is often hard to fight, beer tastes best when you allow things to progress at their own rates.

Back