low carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobwantbeer

Reaction score
the latest beer is an ESB. I'm very happy with the flavor but the carbonation level seemed very low. It will have been in bottles for 2 weeks on wed. I know I should wait longer before trying one but I couldn't resist. I've tasted other home brew a week after I bottled it and they were extremely carbonated and I'm not quite sure whats up. Until I bottled this beer I would always syphon my beer into a new carboy, add the sugar, and then bottle. I then read that it helps to add the sugar into the new carboy, transfer, and then bottle. Supposedly this was going to mix the sugar through the beer more effectively, but I suspect the opposite may have occured. If any one has a theory I would appreciate it.

give it more time. also keep the bottles at 70f to carbonate...any cooler and it'll take longer, or may stall if it gets real cold.

i always dissolve sugar in boiling water, cool it, then put that in the bottling bucket, rack the beer over (it'll stir the priming solution into the beer as it racks).

Sanitize a long spoon and stir every so often. Also, use this instead of a one fits all 3/4 cup sugar. Personally, I just pour the sugar into the bucket and rack on top. Stir every 10 bottles or so.

I typically do 2 weeks for wheat beers and 3 weeks for other brews. It just takes time. The sucky thing about this hobby is you have to be patient.

Greg

Latest posts

Back