Plastic Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathous

Reaction score
Ok friends, I have a question that I cannot answer. Is there any reason for not using a plastic water cooler jug as a carboy? Thanks

I think one possible issue is oxygen permeability. Better Bottles, a brand of plastic carboy, are constructed from a plastic designed to limit permeability, but I don't think that's true for plain old water bottles. I don't really know how serious an issue this is, but perhaps others will weigh in.

I seriously doubt that anything will penetrate or leak thru the plastic bottles themselves. I would guess any oxygen penetration is from ill fitting bungs or airlocks. I use the plastic water bottles just as much as I use glass and suffer no ill effects. Reminds me of an old joke about penetrating oil. A salesman came in and said this is the best penetrating oil ever it will penetrate anything. The mechanic say's,,,,,, If it is so damn good how the hell do you keep it in the can??

The problem may not be permeability of the plastic to O2 but whether the plastic leaches chemicals if the content is acidic and alcohol. Water is neither and a container designed to store water is not necessarily designed to store wine. Short term I don't see a problem but longer term and after repeated use I think a Better Bottle or a glass carboy is a better choice.

I don't know how careful they are with water bottles not scratching the interior, which would be a real problem during fermentation. Better bottles are not much money, I would just go that route.

Thanks all for helping me out. I was only planning on using it for a two week secondary fermenting before going to a glass carboy for a bulk aging.

ANdy

Back