• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Illinois 60 gallon Groen steam kettle $375

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JUST_BREW_IT said:
Thats what I was thinking. It would be pretty easy to fashion a false bottom due to the shape of the bottom.

I also thought it would be fun to do a 'group brew' in this thing. Everyone brings their kettle then you all mash in this tank then everyone leaves with wort in their fermentor.

Just a lot of things you could do with this. Heck, I could sell it on ebay for 1500 bucks, right mark?????????

Yeah I would get a false bottom made and weld some stainless threaded rod to hold it down. It would work awesome for my nano.

I hope it does sell, but i would love to have it. Just cant swing it right now.

if you want to put a deposit down on this i well hold it for you.

I sold my whirlpool to a gentleman from Tennessee yesterday. he's coming to get it in 2 weeks

I'm hoping someone can find a use for it. Otherwise I will be making some serious modifications to it to use as a mash tun

It would not take much to make it a mash tun. I would go that route instead of making it a BK. I recirculate hot water through the jacket on mine to maintain temps during mash. You could also fill the jacket with liquid foam to insulate it and abandon the jacket and use a RIMS tube or HERMS coil. I'm sure Jaybird could make you a false bottom. All you would need is to adapt the drain to your system. I drilled a hole in my lid and added a CamLok to inside and out for recirculation through my HERMS. And welded a 1 ½ “ triclamp to the drain. Get a 55 gallon stainless drum for a BK and you have a cheap 1.5BBL system.

Here's mine -

IMG_1856.jpg

It would not take much to make it a mash tun. I would go that route instead of making it a BK. I recirculate hot water through the jacket on mine to maintain temps during mash. You could also fill the jacket with liquid foam to insulate it and abandon the jacket and use a RIMS tube or HERMS coil. I'm sure Jaybird could make you a false bottom. All you would need is to adapt the drain to your system. I drilled a hole in my lid and added a CamLok to inside and out for recirculation through my HERMS. And welded a 1 ½ “ triclamp to the drain. Get a 55 gallon stainless drum for a BK and you have a cheap 1.5BBL system.

Here's mine -

awesome!

Could you not just use the water jacket to maintain/adjust the mash temps? Where I am at there are more than one or two outdoor boilers with a few extra circuits to pull 180+ degree water off of. I am just wondering why to bother with HERMS at all with such a kettle.

I use a simular setup for making cheese using 180 degree water to heat the milk. Figured the same setup could be used for mashing.

Perhaps this discussion should take place elsewhere though.

Back