8.8 Cubic Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I'm thinking that when the wife and I move, I might want to buy a 8.8 cubic chest freezer for fermenting and storing beer. I'm wondering if this would be big enough to store at least 108 12oz bottles of brew, a 6 or 6.5 gallon carboy, and a bottle for the blow-off tube. The dimensions for a Sears 8.8 cubic freezer are:

Width: 41
Depth: 23 1/4
Height: 34 1/5

I figure that if I could make wood crates or a shelf so that I can stack the bottles. I hope that I can put 54 bottles on each layer.

Dimensions:
carboy diameter 15 inches across
beer bottle diameter 2.5 inches approximate 8 across 8

Do you think my idea is doable or just a pipe dream? Also I heard someone mention that you must subtract a half of inch or an inch off the side to get the real measurement of the freezer. Is this true?

Thanks
Mike

Those sound like exterior measurements (the 23 1/4 is a dead giveaway). My freezer's walls are 3 inches thick each. You'll need to get the inside numbers.

man, if yer gonna setup a freezer for beer, why not keg?

there should be no problem fitting 108 bottles in there with a rack system of some sort. Hell I can easily fit a case on the compressor 'hump' on the left side, and that's almost a quarter of your entire stock.

however that carboy is gonna take up a LOT of real estate...you may have to remove a few cases of bottles when you lager the carboy.

Back