whole foods "beer class"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
anyone know what these are exactly? they are 5 bucks and the topics are like "Stone Brewing " and "pumpkin ales"

the selection of beers at the local whole foods is ridiculous. its pretty mind boggling.

The whole foods here in Chandler two miles from my house has 31 beers on tap. Yes I said 31.

scarlessmeanie said:
Damn you, Pennsylvania, and your outdated, Puritanical liquor laws.

Whole Foods in Pittsburgh is supposed to be getting license. Giant Eagle has beer. But you are right. I was at a bottle shop in Ohio this weekend and was shocked by how cheap the prices where comparatively.

Damn you, Pennsylvania, and your outdated, Puritanical liquor laws.

Wegman's and Whole Foods now sell single bottles, six-packs, make your own six packs, 12 packs, etc. The beer distributors sued them last winter and lost.

In case anyone doesn't know, only licensed beer distributors can sell beer by the case in PA and they have terrible hours...until recently, they couldn't be open on Sundays. No beer sales in grocery stores or convenience stores either. You can buy up to a 12-pack at restaurants with seating. But since Wegman's and Whole Foods sell food and have seating, they got in through the restaurant loophole.

Yeah, my local Whole Foods has a Tap House and a homebrew supply isle. They keep a great list of local and not so local beers on tap. Also my local club had two brewers compete in the GABF Pro-Am and the Whole Foods picked up a keg of each and had a release/tasting party. Pretty awesome.

The whole food in Manhattan has homebrewing gear.

Manhattan’s first homebrew shop opens at Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room

tumblr_l4gux2VHxi1qzwy03.jpg

For years, Manhattan’s homebrewers had to venture far off the island in order to get homebrew supplies. It wasn’t long ago that they had to go to the outer reaches of Queens just to pick up a packet of hop pellets. Then came Brooklyn Brew Shop, Brooklyn Homebrew, and The Brooklyn Kitchen, small businesses that brought supplies within reach with a subway ride. But now, Manhattanites won’t even have to venture off the island, as the Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room at the corner of Houston and Chrystie has rolled out their new homebrew department.

The whole food in Manhattan has homebrewing gear.

Quote:
Manhattan’s first homebrew shop opens at Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room

For years, Manhattan’s homebrewers had to venture far off the island in order to get homebrew supplies. It wasn’t long ago that they had to go to the outer reaches of Queens just to pick up a packet of hop pellets. Then came Brooklyn Brew Shop, Brooklyn Homebrew, and The Brooklyn Kitchen, small businesses that brought supplies within reach with a subway ride. But now, Manhattanites won’t even have to venture off the island, as the Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room at the corner of Houston and Chrystie has rolled out their new homebrew department.

I hope those are Better Bottles stacked that high. :D

BrewThruYou said:
Wegman's and Whole Foods now sell single bottles, six-packs, make your own six packs, 12 packs, etc. The beer distributors sued them last winter and lost.

In case anyone doesn't know, only licensed beer distributors can sell beer by the case in PA and they have terrible hours...until recently, they couldn't be open on Sundays. No beer sales in grocery stores or convenience stores either. You can buy up to a 12-pack at restaurants with seating. But since Wegman's and Whole Foods sell food and have seating, they got in through the restaurant loophole.

Shame there is no Wegmans here. Giant Eagle owns Pittsburgh. The latest GE with the license does have taps now. Each new grocery store they build the beer section gets bigger. The selection is not bad at all either. A very small portion is dedicated to BMC and the prices are the cheaper than normal bottle shops.

At the WF closest to my house here in So. Cal. they have tastings, and it may be something like that... been to one with Lagunitas which was great, as was the Russian River one (how could those be bad?). I have been to a couple others, but it was a while back. I don't live all that close to the WF any more.

joe

At the WF closest to my house here in So. Cal. they have tastings, and it may be something like that... been to one with Lagunitas which was great, as was the Russian River one (how could those be bad?). I have been to a couple others, but it was a while back. I don't live all that close to the WF any more.

joe

I thought your signature was a link to my LHBS.

The only problem I have with Whole Foods' draft beer is that their growler pricing can be a little frustrating. They'll usually have some decent stuff for $10 a fill. I like breweries that offer $8, but I can spring for $10 if I like the stuff. Then they'll also price some at $15 or $20, which is just not worth it to me. Last time I was there they had some Chimay for (I think) around $45 for a 64 oz fill.

I work at a whole foods in chicago and none of our stores has homebrew supplies. I'd look into getting it set up but I'd rather not drive away business from our two lhbs.

i work at the one in manhattan with the homebrew supplies. yes, it's damn nice to get an employee discount on my hb stuff haha

Shame there is no Wegmans here. Giant Eagle owns Pittsburgh. The latest GE with the license does have taps now. Each new grocery store they build the beer section gets bigger. The selection is not bad at all either. A very small portion is dedicated to BMC and the prices are the cheaper than normal bottle shops.

The "fancier" Giant Eagle stores (Market District) have a pretty nice beer selection and sit down area, or at least the one I visited (Robinson) did....

Back