Ferm chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old chest freezer that I'm using as a fermentation chamber, with temp controller. I have a 60w lightbulb in there, for heat and it works great!

I'm hoping to do a Saison, and am wondering, will I be able to get the chamber up to 80 degrees with just the lightbulb, or will I need to throw a space heater in there?

What size is the chest freezer? Is this a standard 60w incandescent light bulb like one used for lighting your home, or an IR light, or what? What is the ambient temperature of the room the cooler is in?

If it is a standard light bulb, I would consider replacing it with an IR (found at pet stores) or making sure your beer is covered up.

Don't know the exact size.. but it's fairly small.
It's a standard bulb, but I ferment in buckets so light isn't an issue.
It's in my basement, so can be cool at night.

The incandescent bulb won't hurt the beer at all. There is only a miniscule amount of UV light produced and it won't cause any issues.

As for the temp, I think you'll be able to get the temp to 80*F as long as you keep the freezer closed.

Walker said:
The incandescent bulb won't hurt the beer at all. There is only a miniscule amount of UV light produced and it won't cause any issues.

As for the temp, I think you'll be able to get the temp to 80*F as long as you keep the freezer closed.

I'm pretty paranoid about things that have the potential to spoil my beer. I would hate to spend so much time and care to end up with beer that tastes like Beck's. I know that the incandescent bulb is unlikely to cause issues, but IR With no UV puts my mind at ease.

Agree. With a fairly small area, keeping the door closed, and the exothermic nature of fermentation you could hold 80. A space heater seems like it would be overkill.

Back