Beerswap: 2nd Street Brewery's brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got to this tonight--honestly it is a beer I've been looking forward to since I got it.

BTW, this one is 2nd Street's Dead Guy clone.

Pour: Nice pfff from the cap. Pours clear but not too much head (more than likely my fault, I used a fresh glass and poured too slow). From what I remember of Dead Guy, you nailed the color.

Aroma: First thing that got me was it smells hot. I can smell alcohol right off the bat. Not much hop aroma, slightly flowery though. Raisiny malt is in the forefront.

Taste: Nicely balanced. I was expecting more of an alcohol bite based on the aroma, but it wasn't overpowering in the least. Definitely malty and a good sweetness to it, but at the same time it balances so well. Raisin, dark crystal, spicy notes.

Non-beer snobbish notes: 2nd Street, this is a killer beer. As it got warmer, I got even more flavor from it, but the hotness came through more too. I've had one other beer tonight ( a murphy's stout) before this one, and after 3/4 of this I'm already feeling the buzz. :D I need to revisit a real Dead Guy because I'm not recalling exactly what it tasted like, but from what I remember of it, you did a really, really good job on this. I don't detect a fault in it--except for the alcohol burn. That could be due to a number of factors. I don't know the specs of what you fermented at, or what the ABV actually is. At any rate, please send me more. ;) This is a damn fine homebrew. :D

:mug:

Dude, I would love to send out more but I think I have about 6 left. I went through those pretty fast.:D The lack of carbination I blame on letting sit in the basement where it's been in the 60s most of the winter. That, and the fact I haven't been bottling much since I went to kegs and am out of practice probably was to blame. Glad you liked the beer, other than some of my friends and the bird, you're the first homebrewer to give me some feedback, I dropped one of my choc stouts off at the LHBS for him to try but I haven't seen him since. That was my last extract batch, I'm planning on trying it again as an AG soon.

Let me clarify--it had enough carbonation. The head didn't stick around on it because I poured it too slow and my glass probably wasn't "beer clean". Totally my fault.

The beer was great.

Alright, I think I'm reviewing one of the remaining six.

Well, no head at all, really, bupkis. Very little carbonation. Unfortunately, the beer's flat. No idea why, but something odd is going on with this.

Nice, malty aroma, I get the deep caramelly flavors out of that. Maybe a LITTLE of the raisen character, but not too much; I dislike beers that taste like raisens, but this is a real subtle amount, it's not overpowering in the least. No hop flavor.

Flavor is very smooth and deep-malty. No major hop flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and luscious, but it's hard to know how that's influenced by the lack of carbonation. Grr...

I *suspect* that this is really a damn good beer, but it's hard to tell with it being flat. It's a gorgeous red tint. Real nice malt character, the hops seem just right to balance. It's just the lack of bubbles.... :(

Back