Double coil immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Reaction score
I decided to brew 2 extract batches at a time to save setup and cleanup time, so I figured I'd need a chiller. After searching/reading what others here have made, I decided on 50' of 3/8" pipe and made it with 2 coils. I got the pipe at Menards for about $40.
The inner coil is wrapped from the top down, and the outer back up. I first wrapped the inner coil around a small water jug. Then I wrapped a couple towels around the coils to increase the size, and wrapped the outer coil back up around the towels. Hose connection is 3/8" compression to 1/2" female pipe, then 1/2" male pipe to male garden hose. The exit end has no hose connection.
It cooled 2.5 gal of extract to 80 deg in less than 10 minutes. Yes, thats snow on the ground, so the water was about 60 deg.
The chiller works great, and made wort chilling so much easier.

Chiller1.jpg

Chiller2.jpg

Looks great, I was just at home depot today and they only had 20' of the 3/8" OD copper. I had been planning to use vinyl tubing and hose barbs to connect to garden hoses, but the compression fitting and adapter look pro, and makes it easier to move around without dragging tubes.

well done, thanks for sharing!

Brewphish,
If you want 50', look around for refrigerator tubing, that's what my box said it was.
Yes, the garden hose hookup is nice.
As I searched and read other posts, people said the hose hookups were the way to go. Keeps the hose from breaking at the pipe, and like you said, the chiller is easier to move around. Some even solder elbows on rather than bend the pipe like I did.
I'm going to add a couple more wires at the top to keep the inner and outer coils spaced evenly. But I'm not sure how important it is.
This forum was a great help for me putting this chiller together.

I did similar but with a parallel circuit of two coils. Two 25' coils of 3/8" tubing with the ends T-ing off into 3/4" tubes. Water enters the 3/4" tube down to the bottom of my keggle, splits into two separate 3/8" tubing coils, and joins back into another 3/4" tube at the top for exit. My garden hose fills a bucket containing a pond pump and when the wort temp gets to about 100 degrees I start dumping ice into the bucket.

Thanks Drano. I'm stopping by Ace Hardware on lunch today for the parts I need for the chiller and a MLT cooler conversion. Hoping they will have the 50' copper tubing there.
Then it's on to my fist AG. The HBT forums have been invaluable, to say the least.

Cheers

Back