Hops storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgreen4242

Reaction score
I had a few ounces of Hallertauer (3%) in a vacuum packed freezer bag that lost its vacuum at some point. So it's been stored in the freezer in, basically, a ziplock bag for ~5 months. Is it ruined or can I still use it? Has it lost some of its AA value? I am happy to err on the side of over hopping something if I can still use it for a bitting hops (love me some hoppy beer)!

Thanks!

The Hops Aging tab in BeerSmith says that a 3% hop aged for 5 months in the freezer in a plastic bag has an AA of 2.44%, 6 months drops it to 2.34%. Brew away my friend.

Huzzah! Gonna make a nice little session APA next week. Looked at the date and it's been 6 months (!) so I'll chuck all 3oz into the boil as the equivalent of an ounce of 7% Perle and call it a day. Thanks very much!

The next bulk buy of hops (hopefully in a couple weeks) is getting Foodsaver'ed in 1oz increments. :p

don't even bother adding extra hops. their numbers are for hops kept cold, not frozen. i keep some hops like yours anyway, and they're fine

Just for the record those numbers I gave were assuming the hops were at 28F. The difference between 2.34% and 3% is not large. The IBU difference for 3 oz is 23.4 (3%) vs 18.3 (2.34%) when added at 60 minutes, not a big difference according to BeerSmith.

Back