Next brew I'm going to do an experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
I can do ten Imperial gallons in a brew, my fermenters are five gallons, so next brew I do, I'm going to do a side by side test. One fermenter will be left for a month in the fermenter, the other will be secondaried once primary is finished, so both will start together and also be bottled together, then a side by side taste test to see if I can tell the difference or if one is better than the other. I will then decide what my method will be going forward. Up to now with kits I've taken the advice here and have been doing from 3-5 weeks in uninterrupted primary.

looking forward to the results. I'm picking up some more primaries this w/e, and was thinking of something like this myself

I have been using secondaries ever since I started brewing about a year ago. I don't know why, the kit I ordered just came with a carboy and bucket so I figured I should secondary. Is it not necessary?

Some (most?) people here at hbt do not use secondaries. I use a secondary more often than not, as what is sometimes referred to as a "bright tank".

If you do a search, you will find many many threads ok this topic, with many perspectives. IMHO, this is a matter of preference, not correctness.

Some (most?) people here at hbt do not use secondaries. I use a secondary more often than not, as what is sometimes referred to as a "bright tank".

If you do a search, you will find many many threads ok this topic, with many perspectives. IMHO, this is a matter of preference, not correctness.

Yeah I agree, but I'm going to test it side by side for myself, as to be honest I've been having a yeasty flavour that I'd like to have less of in my beers, by using the primary only method. I want to see if I can reduce this by taking it off the cake earlier. If not then not, I'm just testing for myself and can also report back here on my findings.

Back