Utah House passes bill to legalize home brewing/vintning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice. hopefully it wont die again like it did last year. personally im not holding my breath. but who pays attention to laws anyway

nice. hopefully it wont die again like it did last year. personally im not holding my breath. but who pays attention to laws anyway

It died last year due to it being introduced on or about the last day of the session. Not for lack of support.

It appears that it finally has enough support, and since this is the START of the session, we may finally be de-criminalized.

How do they do that? Can I open a marijuana shop in Boulder? That would be a cash cow if there ever was one.

Well, because the existing law (ALL breweries must be licensed) is never enforced, and because I think the violation is like a Class B Misdemeanor. None of the ingredients of beer are illegal. (Unlike cannabis.)

We have head shops too, although their "glassware" is advertised for tobacco smoking purposes only.

Now we just need to legalize poligamy in MA!!! I could use some SWMOM<--(she who must obey me)To do my bidding/bottling.:mug:

jeez, makes me happy to live in Oregon. of course i guess i could put that up against our incredibly restrictive laws about using your own property... ain't no free lunch i suppose

jeez, makes me happy to live in Oregon. of course i guess i could put that up against our incredibly restrictive laws about using your own property... ain't no free lunch i suppose

Not to steal the thread or anything but you got my curiosity up. Using your own property for what?? Am I just being Naive?

Hopefully this law makes it through in Utah. There's no reason Homebrewing should be considered Illegal

This is an abomination to the Prophet Joseph Smith! A slap in the face! Ye shall be judged by Moroni! :rolleyes: ah, crazy religious folk...a constant source of entertainment (and evil). Good for Utah...now, what to do about those Mormons...

Has it passed yet? Has it passed yet? Has it passed yet?

What are you planning on moving to Utah soon?

Silly little laws that just cause problems for people who want to be law abiding.

Now if only we can get home distillation legalized. I don't really see why it should be treated differently.

Craig

My wife and I decided a couple of years ago to move to Mississippi after retiring. Guess what I just found out! Three states left that still have an active law from 1937 that do not allow homebrewing.

My wife and I decided a couple of years ago to move to Mississippi after retiring. Guess what I just found out! Three states left that still have an active law from 1937 that do not allow homebrewing.
If Utah passes it's 4, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky and Oklahoma

There are also a bunch of states where the legality of homebrewing is somewhat uncertain, while others have weird laws such as caps on the ABV permitted or restrictions such as "domestic ingredients only".

What are you planning on moving to Utah soon?

Silly little laws that just cause problems for people who want to be law abiding.

Now if only we can get home distillation legalized. I don't really see why it should be treated differently.

Craig
Nope, not move planed (at least to Utah that is). Just being annoying. :cross:

There are also a bunch of states where the legality of homebrewing is somewhat uncertain, while others have weird laws such as caps on the ABV permitted or restrictions such as "domestic ingredients only".

A perfect time to put in my usual plug for AHA. Support an organization that is looking out for your rights to homebrew.

HB0051 is getting closer...it passed favorably through the Senate Business and Labor Committee on Friday the 13th...wait...crap...knocking on wood right now.

HB0051 is getting closer...it passed favorably through the Senate Business and Labor Committee on Friday the 13th...wait...crap...knocking on wood right now.

Any word on a hearing on the senate floor yet? The other 45 states that permit brewing are crossing their fingers for you (and the other four that don't probably cross them even harder!).

UPDATE: The Utah senate has passed this bill, and it will now go to the Governor's desk. I see no reason why he wouldn't sign it, given his stated goal of liberalizing Utah's liquor laws.

Huzzah! I'm no longer an outlaw! :D

YAY, I was getting worried, the senate decided to try and amend it by adding some stupid rules about once a year you could take 1 l of wine or 72 oz of beer from your house to some event... the house was like UMM NO, and it was revisited w/ a committee, afterwards the senate accepted... The great thing is that one of our state senators said he voted against the bill because he was not comfortable w/ homebrewing because it seems "fraught w/ mischief"

you naughty peeps you!

lol

It amazes me that these people are supposed to represent us. They have no idea what they vote on sometimes. I'd like to tell that guy, "I'm not comfortable with politicians such as yourself, because you ARE fraught with mischief to me!!!"

Oklahoma doesn't have any homebrew restrictions that I'm aware of. But it is one of the remaining 3.2 beer states. Since that covers all the fizzy yellow beer, I don't really worry about it. :D

Back